LWJGL Wiki

Started by Matzon, April 27, 2004, 22:25:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Matzon

A LWJGL Wiki has been setup (now use it, coz it was a bitch to setup!) - I just put it online so no content yet.

Everybody has read access, but you need to register to get write access. I'm a bit in doubt as to whether we need special editors instead of write access to all registered users...

Middy already create a smallish intro page, and we need a lot more if the wiki is to be a success. This also means that we need to establish somekind of structure...

Please comment, especially if you have prior knowledge of wiki's and how to successfully manage them.

LWJGL Wiki: http://wiki.lwjgl.org/

middy

Well wiki CAN be a powerfull tool. But it can also be a piece of crap.
I have tried the commetie approach, or rather "what does everybody like approach". This always result in either of two things

1. Nothing get done

2. Something get done and then people start arguing and then goto 1.

What I was thinking was something alike the PHP.net site. If you have seen it, its a firmly established manual with user comments. The usercomments are the best part of the manuel. But only makes sense with the manual.

Anyway two persons sit down and create a structure. They get to decide no questions asked. The rest of the volunteers is assigned the different chapters.  Filling them out.

Why this approach?. Well everyone who has written a document knows that if you do not provide the correct structure the content is almost irrelevant in the sense that a reader cannot tell head from tail. The wiki system allows alot of authors with alot of different styles. If the docs are to survive all the inputs, there must be a good and logical structure so even the dummest authors get it.

PS. remind me to go to Odense and beat you up Matzon.. I spend half the day setting my own WIKI up as I offered in the other thread.   :evil:
um

Matzon

Quote from: "middy"PS. remind me to go to Odense and beat you up Matzon.. I spend half the day setting my own WIKI up as I offered in the other thread.   :evil:
oops - I only read the 'Anyway I would be happy to setup such a wiki,...' part - not the last comment by Cas - sorry bout that :)

I'll comment more on the whole wiki process later tonight, when I get off from work

princec

Woops!

Anyway, I registered on the wiki.lwjgl.org wiki under my usual dull handle. Now I have to figure out how to use the damned thing.

Cas :)

CaptainJester

Do you guys have an auto-responder on the wiki registration? or is it manual?  I registered a little while ago and still have not received an e-mail.
The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities.  We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)
8)

Matzon

uhm... I ticked 'Validate users by email:' and 'Remind passwords by email:' - but I think it's manual...

It's the first wiki I've ever set up, and I am still figuring it out :) - I hope to have someone else than me with greater wiki experience take over the admin position, eventually.

Matzon

but your are registered as CaptainJester according to the wiki

princec

I got my mail through (said it came from "nobody").

CaptainJester

I still cannot log in WiKi and have not received a confirmation e-mail since I registered.
The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities.  We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)
8)

princec

Your spam filter's probably decided the mail is junk.

Matzon

Login: CaptainJester
Email: captainjester@hotmail.com

right?

You are in the DB - if you have lost your pwd, I can nuke your account, and you can recreate it.

CaptainJester

Go ahead an nuke the account and I'll try again.

Thanks.

princec:
I don't run a spam filter.  I only block e-mails from addresses that have sent me junk.  So your mailer would not have been sent to the junk folder.  I checked just to make sure and it was not there.

Thanks.
8)

Matzon

Quote from: "CaptainJester"Go ahead an nuke the account and I'll try again.
It has been done!

chuckury

If you ever need php help I'm pretty good with PHP. Especially if you have MySQL enabled on your server. But it looks good :D

dennmat@yahoo.ca

garazdawi

Is it just me or is the wiki really slow when loading? It seems to take forever to load new pages which makes it really annoying to browse and to contribute to...
 put the 'laughter' back in 'slaughter'
The LWJGL Wiki Documenation