LWJGL Wiki

Started by Matzon, April 27, 2004, 22:25:43

Previous topic - Next topic

cfmdobbie

LWJGL doesn't have any presence at Java.net, and last I heard they wanted to remain independent.  I wonder if an "unofficial" attempt at wikifying a pile of documentation could be made under the Games wiki?

As for public wikis being defaced, yes.  But that's why you have a team of interested people who will undo any damage.  The Wikipedia is the highest-profile Wiki out there, and it suffers from defacement - but someone is usually along shortly to clean it all up again.
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.

garazdawi

Yae that's true...hmm.. so far all the wiki's I've seen do not have the controls and shoutbox to the left. I'm undecided whether this is a good thing or not.

EDIT: I'm on fire! Just added abit to the wiki documenting how input works :), i'm starting with the simple stuff just to get in the feeling of how it's done ^^
 put the 'laughter' back in 'slaughter'
The LWJGL Wiki Documenation

garazdawi

Hey people, take a look at the structure of the Input documentiation of LWJGL. I've been playing around with it for a bit and I kinda like the result. I'm not 100% sure if I should put all the Input classes on the same page or on different ones., but as it is at the moment I think a split would be nice escpecially when we later get into the opengl and there are alot of more classes in the same package.

Also does anyone have any requests of which parts should be documeneted first? I was thinking to document the display class after I get boored with input, but I'm not really sure if that's the best move to make....

elias

I think it's a great start on the input docs. I can't edit because I can't register, so here's a few comments:

poll(), create() and destroy() are not really essential as they're called automatically. So move them into "advanced" or "if you need to know" and state that create()/destroy() are called automatically on Display.create()/destroy() and that poll() is called automatically on Display.update(). Only getDX()/getDY() and isButtonDown() are essential. After that comes events (also enabled automatically) that enables you to track button events if you're not content with isButtonDown().

- elias

garazdawi

Quote from: "elias"I think it's a great start on the input docs. I can't edit because I can't register, so here's a few comments:

poll(), create() and destroy() are not really essential as they're called automatically. So move them into "advanced" or "if you need to know" and state that create()/destroy() are called automatically on Display.create()/destroy() and that poll() is called automatically on Display.update(). Only getDX()/getDY() and isButtonDown() are essential. After that comes events (also enabled automatically) that enables you to track button events if you're not content with isButtonDown().

- elias
I didn't know that poll/create/delete were automatically called. Nice :D I'll go and edit that at once, and I'm gonna split all the classes into seperate pages as well... so that I don't have to do any major reconstructing later on....

garazdawi

Ok, I've now moved out all the stuff about the Mouse and created a seperate page for it. It turned out really nice so I think we should stick with a similar setup throughout the documentation. Now I'm gonna go and get some lunch and do some laundry (horrid thought).

garazdawi

I was playing around with Mouse.isButtonDown and realised that LWJGL did not recognize inputs from all the buttons on my mouse. I have an IntelliMouse Explorer with 2 button+whell on top and 2 on the side. LWJGL only recognized one of the side buttons but not the other. Is this a native problem or something that LWJGL does?

Matzon

LWJGL recognizes the first 4 buttons of a mouse. The reason for this has to do with dx 5 only supporting 4 buttons (Windows NT, yes some still uses it) - to support more buttons, we would need to use dx7+ instead

garazdawi

Ahh, ok. Now I get it. Thx for clearing that up.

garazdawi

Mouse and Cursor have now been fully documented. I will proebly now move on to Keyboard and then someone else will have to do Controller as I don't have one to test functions with. Does anyone have any requests of what they want to be documented first, if not I'll just pick up at any odd place...

elias

Thank you! Don't worry about Controller, it's in a state of uncertainty right now ;) Take Display/DisplayMode/PixelFormat instead.

- elias

garazdawi

I'll take a look at them, right now I'm playing around with trying to create a native cursor from a png image but it aint working  :x

garazdawi

OK, a MAJOR change of the Documentation index and also quite a large change to the front page. Hope I got the layout right this time :o

Matzon

This is looking nice!
Think we need to get more people to add content (fill out the blanks).

I was a bit in doubt about the wiki, but the manual stuff is looking very promising - it will become a very valuable source of info!

garazdawi

Quote from: "Matzon"This is looking nice!
Think we need to get more people to add content (fill out the blanks).
Yae... It took me the good part of the afternoon today to do the new layout of the manual, and as things are only going to get harder it's going to take more and more time to update the info and add content.

Quote from: "Matzon"I was a bit in doubt about the wiki, but the manual stuff is looking very promising - it will become a very valuable source of info!
Indeed, and if you really want to inderstand a concept there is no better way than to document it and when different users can put their own experiences down it will become much easier for new LWJGL users to choose to use it.