Hello Guest

LWJGL Wiki

• 44 Replies

Offline Chman

• http://www.shakebox.org
LWJGL Wiki
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2004, 21:59:19 »
Quote from: "garazdawi"
Is it just me or is the wiki really slow when loading? It seems to take forever to load new pages which makes it really annoying to browse and to contribute to...

You're right, this wiki is really slow and so damn ugly...

Offline Matzon

LWJGL Wiki
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2004, 05:53:14 »
Well, the slowness we can't do anything about right now - it's because its hosted on SourceForge and uses a lot of db connections.
As for being ugly, this is one of the "better" looking wikis! - perhaps your using a wrong stylesheet? - change it in Preferences, default should be moreneat.css

LWJGL Wiki
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2004, 09:36:20 »
I thought that something like that might be the reason for how slow it is... as for the layout I actually like it alot. It's plain and simple to use and navigate IMO if it just hadn't been so damn slow :o

Anyways I have just submitted a small guide of how to build lwjgl from its sources and I would actually be prepared to spend quite some time to document LWJGL. I'm actually kinda weird in that sence because I really like to document features and such. It helps me to understand the features that are involved in an API.
 put the 'laughter' back in 'slaughter'
The LWJGL Wiki Documenation

Offline Matzon

LWJGL Wiki
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2004, 09:41:22 »
uh uh - stay with us !! - people that love to document is a rare  find :D
I think that within a short time span, we're going to talk about whether or not to use the wiki or replace it - and also if we should free us from the shackles of SF

Offline elias

• http://oddlabs.com
LWJGL Wiki
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2004, 12:56:27 »
I'd like to move off SF, if not for the speed issues, then for replacing the old CVS crud with subversion.

- elias

Offline Matzon

LWJGL Wiki
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2004, 13:27:12 »
I have many reasons for not using SF - but in the end we still have to find a place to host it...

LWJGL Wiki
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2004, 14:11:44 »
Moving away from SF sounds like a really good idea, especially if you are going to continue using the wiki. If you are not going to continue using the wiki then I suggest that you go for something similar to the php manual. Where users can contribute if they which by only giving a small comment on the feature in question. It should not be all that hard to setup such a system using php. Maybe the php manual is opensource? in which case a modification of it would be a really nice thing...

LWJGL Wiki
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2004, 14:15:38 »
Quote from: "Matzon"
I have many reasons for not using SF - but in the end we still have to find a place to host it...
Yae, that's always the problem. Maybe you should check out something like SpyMac to help you with hosting. It will cost you a couple of dollars a year though if you want to have a nice DNS and bandwidth, as with all other webhosting services...

Offline middy

realy simple wiki system
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2004, 17:37:50 »
This one is dead simple, no silly features. Just wiki

http://www.pmwiki.com/
um

Re: realy simple wiki system
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2004, 20:31:51 »
Quote from: "middy"
This one is dead simple, no silly features. Just wiki

http://www.pmwiki.com/
You don't have to sign up with that one... I don't know if that is good or bad, but I consider it to be bad. Signing up eliminates the causal bypasser from screwing upp the wiki completely at just a whim.

Offline middy

yeah I know
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2004, 20:45:18 »
But weirdly enough, the pmwiki.com is a pmwiki and noone messes it up.
um

LWJGL Wiki
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2004, 20:51:57 »
Yae I noticed that, sometimes the opensource community just surprises you. I still think going for an approach more like the phpManual would work better, but that means getting some people to do most of the manual by them selves and then when done with that let the masses do their thing...

LWJGL Wiki
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2004, 21:29:40 »
Hehe, I felt inspired and made a small example of what I mean by the "phpManual", this took me about 15 min to make and I suck at web devlopment.

Edit: forgot the link :o

LWJGLDoc Test

Offline vrm

LWJGL Wiki
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2004, 07:08:23 »
why not simply use java.net wiki ?

LWJGL Wiki
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2004, 07:18:12 »
Quote from: "vrm"
why not simply use java.net wiki ?