Hello Guest

Difference between MemoryStack and malloc/calloc

• 3 Replies
Difference between MemoryStack and malloc/calloc
« on: October 10, 2017, 21:57:35 »
Hi I relatively recently started upgraded to lwjgl3 and I am not quite sure what is the difference between
Code: [Select]
try(MemoryStack stack=stackPush()){

doSmth(stack.mallocInt(foo));
    doSmthElse(stack.mallocInt(bar));

}
and
Code: [Select]
IntBuffer fooBuf=MemoryUtil.memAllocInt(foo);
doSmth(fooBuf);
fooBuf.free();

IntBuffer barBuf=MemoryUtil.memAllocInt(foo);
doSmthElse(barBuf);
barBuf.free();

From my understanding they are the same except the second one causes a memory leak in a case of exception.

Also is it a good idea to wrap native buffers in my class that on finalize makes sure that the free function is called on buffer?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 22:12:31 by LapisSea »
Building a vulkan rendering engine for fun! :D

Offline spasi

• WebHotelier
Re: Difference between MemoryStack and malloc/calloc
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 22:18:22 »
Automatic cleanup is one difference, indeed. We cannot add AutoCloseable to the NIO buffer classes, so they can't be used with try-with-resources.

But the major difference is performance:

The MemoryUtil methods call the native memory allocator and each allocation & deallocation has considerable overhead, depending on the implementation. LWJGL provides bindings to 3 allocators: system default, jemalloc (faster on Linux & macOS), rpmalloc (fastest, but requires per-thread setup).

The MemoryStack is pure Java code that returns slices out of a pre-allocated, thread-local, fixed-size memory block. A stack allocation simply increments a pointer, with proper alignment, and returns a buffer object. Popping the stack is basically two instructions (happens automatically at the end of the try-with-resources block). The drawback? The stack size cannot grow (defaults to 64kb, can be statically changed with Configuration.STACK_SIZE), so it's only good for small, short-lived buffers (which are very common actually).

Read the Memory FAQ for more information.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 11:55:41 »
Ooooh! That explains a lot!
So basically, I should use stacks for simple things like getting a value from functions (aka replacement for c++ pointers) but not for things like handling high poly model data or data that I want to keep around after the function call.
Building a vulkan rendering engine for fun! :D

Offline spasi

• WebHotelier
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 15:23:02 »
Yes, exactly.