Hello Guest

Update

• 14 Replies
Update
« on: July 14, 2007, 13:36:11 »
Just wanted to let everyone know that I am making progress.  I have successfully created an IDirect3D9 interface object and called a method on that interface.

I don't know how often these updates will happen, but I will try and keep everyone informed.
The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities.  We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)
8)

Offline princec

• Puppygames
Re: Update
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 15:16:46 »
Brilliant stuff :)

I might even get to learn D3D finally.

Cas :)

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 23:25:37 »
Awesome stuff!  D3D for Java seams kinda weird since D3D is micros~1 specific and Java is supposed to be platform independent.  Anyway, I have experience with D3D, JNI, and some time on my hands, so if you need any help developing, I would gladly help in anyway possible.  Thanks and good luck!
JNewton 0.8 - Newton Dynamics wrapper for Java!
org.lwjgl.d3d - Currently Working On

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:55:41 »
Thanks.  I am getting close to being ready to check everything into SVN.  Once it is there, help would be appreciated.
The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities.  We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)
8)

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 14:27:56 »
Running into a few problems with the way the Display is set up.  It is all so tightly integrated with OpenGL, I may have to write it from scratch.  There is a lot of code I can use, but there is an equal amount that is OpenGL specific.
8)

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 14:46:40 »
I don't think that D3D should be part of lwjgl - especially not part of the existing classes.

Creating another lib with a similar API (for Mouse and Keyboard) might be an option.

Offline Uli

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 20:03:00 »
I'm just curious... if you want to use direct3d, why dont't you just use c# for it? C# looks nearly the same like Java, so it should be easy for any Java programmer to write c# code. And using directx you can only run on windows anyway.  ???

Offline princec

• Puppygames
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 21:06:35 »
Because, that's why! May as well ask a C# programmer why he doesn't use Java if he wants to use OpenGL bindings with C#.

The LWJGL is composed of four six parts - System handling, Display handling, Input handling, Sound handling, Image handling, Graphics handling. The D3D part is simply going to be in place of the OpenGL part in the Graphics handling. The rest of the API will not be affected. It makes sense to simply keep as much of it as possible.

CJ - you might have to be quite cunning to get both GL and D3D working with the native Display classes. Stick with it, the results will be cool and of major newsworthiness.

Cas :)

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 21:16:35 »
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 21:26:23 by Nero »

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 21:23:43 »
I'm just curious... if you want to use direct3d, why dont't you just use c# for it? C# looks nearly the same like Java, so it should be easy for any Java programmer to write c# code. And using directx you can only run on windows anyway.  ???

I dare you to find FREE dev tools as good as what we have for Java.  I cannot afford to buy Visual Studio.  I can do anything I want with Java because there are so many more well established free tools.  I know there are some for C/C++ and C#, but they just do not compare.

Part this is also to attract people to Java.  I have seen the comment a lot that people won't switch to try Java because there is no Direct3D binding.
8)

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 21:25:06 »
CJ - you might have to be quite cunning to get both GL and D3D working with the native Display classes. Stick with it, the results will be cool and of major newsworthiness.

I will keep trying.  I really don't want to rewrite it, because there is already so much time and bug fixing already in place.
8)

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 05:20:49 »
Micros~1 released a "lite" version of Visual Studio, Express Edition, for C++/.NET/etc.  Visual Studio sucks compared to Eclipse, but the lite version is free.  If you use C# it will still only run on Windows, so there's really no difference between Java + DirectX or C# + DirectX, except for the awesomeness of Java and the crappyness of C# :P.

-gz
JNewton 0.8 - Newton Dynamics wrapper for Java!
org.lwjgl.d3d - Currently Working On

Offline Uli

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 13:28:10 »
I've got both Visual Studio Express and Eclipse installed, and I think you're right. Compared to Eclipse, Visual Studio sucks. On the other hand, maybe it's just because I use RAD, which is based on Eclipse, every day for my job, and I'm just used to it. C# itself isn't crappy, it's nearly the same as Java. I feel more comfortable with DirectX than with OpenGL, maybe because it's more object oriented.
So if I could use Eclipse for developing c# and DirectX, everything would be fine  :)

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 14:31:32 »
Micros~1 released a "lite" version of Visual Studio, Express Edition, for C++/.NET/etc.

True, but it has the restriction that you cannot redistribute what you make in any form.
8)

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 14:36:21 »
Micros~1 released a "lite" version of Visual Studio, Express Edition, for C++/.NET/etc.

True, but it has the restriction that you cannot redistribute what you make in any form.
No, they dropped that restriction a little while ago. The express edition is pretty much fully featured now.

Of courses it's still playing catch up to Eclipse in terms of features.  ;D