Display Lists

Started by EricTheRed, August 31, 2003, 03:12:49

Previous topic - Next topic

EricTheRed

[Once again I've crawled out from under my rock. Perhaps this "posting" thing has some merit after all. :roll:]

Alright, so I finally decided to temporarily abandon Java2D and sit down with lwjgl this weekend. First impressions? Using Chman's tutorials, I found it exceedingly simple to create a working program. And one that's fast; I can't argue with 600 fps! The simplicity of transitioning between windowed and fullscreen mode is also nice.

Having spent several hours puzzling through tutorials, I have now progressed to the "textured rotating cube" stage, and have a feel for how much there is to learn. Something to keep me occupied during the school year, I suppose :P. So, back on topic, here's my question: I have several textured quads I'm using to display some text as an introduction to my not-quite-a-game. Is it worth creating a display list to store the 6 or so quads, keeping in mind they're only used for several seconds right at the start of the game? More generally: should I create a display list if I'm going to display the same object two or more times during a frame (for an extended duration)?

- Eric

elias

My advice would be to drop display lists for now and use vertex arrays. They're much more flexible and almost as fast as display lists. Display lists also have a call overhead and I'm not sure 6 quads will be enough to offset that.

Using vertex arrays, you can someday use ARB_vertex_buffer_object which is a slight variation to ordinary vertex arrays allowing for performance equal to or even better than display lists.

- elias

Chman

ARB_vertex_buffer_object is MUCH faster than DisplayList... But ARB_vertex_buffer_object is only available on newest cards so... You should use compiled vertex array (good performances).

++
Chman

EricTheRed

Thanks for the replies. I played around with the vertex and texture coordinate arrays this afternoon and managed to display one of my textured quads with them. Yay! At the moment, performance is not a concern. If the screen is showing something other than black, that's good enough for me :P. I still have some questions, though:

When populating a vertex array, is there a better method than:
private float[][] v = { { 1.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f },
                            {-1.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f },
                            {-1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f },
                            {1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f } };
//...snip!...
vertices = createFloatBuffer(12);
vertices.put(v[0]);
vertices.put(v[1]);
vertices.put(v[2]);
vertices.put(v[3]);
vertices.flip();

And how exactly should vertex arrays be used? Should I draw the array once, then glTranslatef to a new position, then draw the object again, ... ?
I appologize if these questions come off as overwhelmingly naive, but I couldn't find any good tutorials to explain this stuff. I suppose that's why you're here!

- Eric

elias

Chman: not entirely correct - VBOs are only available with the newest _drivers_. Seceral older cards like the TNTs and such support them just fine.

- elias