[RFE] Assimp 3.5.1

Started by sgold, September 26, 2023, 00:16:27

Previous topic - Next topic

sgold

First off, thanks for all the good work that went into LWJGL 3.3.3.

It looks like 3.3.3 still includes Assimp v5.2.5 .

I see that Assimp v5.3.1 was released today (25 September 2023). I'm told it includes some bugfixes that might benefit my project.
How long before they're included in an LWJGL early access release?

spasi

Hey sgold,

The Assimp binary in 3.3.3 was built from this commit (2023-09-14). It includes all 5.3.1 features and bugfixes.

This fact is indeed not tracked in the LWJGL release notes. If a binding is updated to the latest version, but its version remains the same, there's no corresponding entry for that binding. However, if you check the commit log, the Assimp bindings were updated 4 times between LWJGL 3.3.2 and 3.3.3.

Assimp is one of the libraries that get very frequent updates and I try to keep up in LWJGL because I know how important it is for users, especially those working with newer file formats.

spasi

Btw, a binding may be updated in a snapshot even without a corresponding LWJGL commit. Commits happen only when the public API changes.

The LWJGL native jars include a .git file that contains the git commit hash used to build the native library. For example, in lwjgl-assimp-natives-windows.jar you can find it at META-INF/windows/x64/org/lwjgl/assimp/assimp.dll.git. This way you can easily find out if the binding has been updated or not.

sgold

Those are all interesting details I wasn't aware of. Thank you.

My motivation for inquiring is that I submitted a bug report to the Assimp project, which was closed shortly after the release of 3.5.1 "assuming it's fixed".

So if I test with LWJGL v3.3.3, I should be able to say with confidence whether the bug was fixed in Assimp 5.3.1 or not?

spasi