Hello Guest

Java 1.4.2 on FreeBSD? Does this mean lwjgl might come next

• 7 Replies
I just found out that Java 1.4.2 is almost finally complete under FreeBSD, anyone (elias?) planning on attempting a lwjgl build for it?  I know it's a niche platform, but if it's little extra work, maybe?  Hey, there are native nVidia drivers out for it.. ;)
ife sucks, kill yourself.

Offline Matzon

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 08:20:32 »
We'd love to support it, but seeing as it's only Elias thats running "those other OS's" and he'll be quite busy with Mac OS X, I wouldn't hold my breath. An excellent oppertunity for someone else to do it though...
AFAIK, the linux port should work mostly on bsd?

Offline elias

• http://oddlabs.com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 08:23:12 »
I *might*, but don't hold your breath. I'm completing TT and has a mac port to do :-) It _should_ be relatively easy if it got XFree86 with the same vid mode extensions, so why don't you give it a try? I'm always willing to help out through MSN, IRC or email.

- elias

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 15:38:23 »
It's no rush or biggie, I don't even use FreeBSD.  Just wondering if the thought ever crossed your minds.  :P  I'll see if I can rustle up a decent AGP "modern" system, slap in a older GeForce, and do a BSD install soon.  Heck, might be nice to have a dual boot Linux/BSD machine for testing purposes, anyway.  Well, at the very least, it'd make a good replacement webserver as I hate using my desktop for that..

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 22:37:51 »
ive had 1.4.2_04 working on FreeBSD the day it was released  :)

All you have to do is install the linux emulation layer and the java programs run FASTER on freebsd than on linux (higher FPS)*.

Having said that, i didn't know if LWJGL would work on it and never tested it on there because I didn't know of LWJGL back then.

Unfortunetly, my bios has gone byebye and I need a new pc to install freebsd on inorder to try LWJGL on. As soon as I do (which will take some time, skint at the moment) il post here to tell you the news.

DP

*Tested on FreeBSD 5.1. 5.2 is out now tho.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 23:08:50 »
5.3 is a couple weeks away from feature freeze... :)

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 23:18:49 »
I heard they postponded the STABLE release to 5.4 when it was 5.3 originally. Anyways, keeping with the LWJGL theme here, i will try and test it when I go back to school ( theyve setup a pc for me to test my stuff on at school  :) ) because I have freebsd there with an OpenGL nVidia card on there too.

If you can bear another month or two, the good or not so good news will be posted here. Unless elias beats me to it and installs freebsd on his machine.

DP

Offline elias

• http://oddlabs.com
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 07:33:13 »
You can safely assume that I won't for at least two months.

- elias