OpenGL ES support? LWJGL on handhelds?

Started by indiana, August 01, 2004, 10:11:42

Previous topic - Next topic

indiana

Hi,

is LWJGL supposed to operate on handheld devices, such as mobile phones or PDAs? Will it e.g. be compatible to OpenGL-ES http://www.khronos.org/opengles/spec.html which is fully supported by ATIs Imageon 2300 chip?

Any comment on this topic is greatly appreciated!!  :D

Greets,
Thomas

Matzon

Theoretically yes. OpenGL-ES is just a subset of OpenGL - this means we just have to do a ES class which has less capabilities than GL11-15, which should be very simple.
However, for LWJGL to work, we would need to port to an actual device, which none of us have access to, and we would also need OpenAL to be available (highly unlikely). I wouldn't hold your breath for a LWJGL port to OGL-ES (native port) - at least not from the LWJGL team.
We might do a GLES class just for the sake of defining the profile, though it will be a bit useless

indiana

Ok, I already guessed the native port would be the problem. Could you estimate the amount of work necessary to create such a port?

I am wondering what OS phones are running actually...

princec

The native port will be fairly trivial relatively; however it's likely that the only people doing it will be phone companies themselves unless someone carries the torch.

Cas :)

indiana

Thanks for the info, I'll be back on this topic in a few month when things are starting to get serious about using LWJGL with phones.  :wink: