LWJGL on Mac OS X (Donation Drive)

Started by Matzon, July 21, 2004, 18:18:16

Previous topic - Next topic

willdenniss

I'm happy to help out if you like, but how is the person who gets the money going to get it to who its going to?  I've always used PayPal for stuff like that (the one time I have done it) :? International cheques are a pain, and many money transfers like Western Union are more expensive than PayPal.

Also, I've never got money out of PayPal on my end, although I assume it would work and I don't mind trying.  But I'm in Australia, so we'll get the double currency conversion problem again too.

How do you plan on getting the money from the donation PayPal account to the person who will withdraw it?  Won't that incur a 3% charge?  If you just give them your password, won't they have to be in the same country (i.e. same problems).

What a mess!  But, if you think I can help, I'm more than happy too.

Will.

Matzon

I can send Elias the money to his paypal account - but he can't withdraw any money to his bank account (same error as me).
So we need someone that CAN transfer money to own bank account.

The money will be send from the donation paypal account to the recipients paypal account, which is free.

willdenniss

A slight problem - my account is a premium account (so that I can accept credit cards) but even PayPal transfers incure a 3% fee I think.

Hopefully someone in a better position will step forward and they can do it.  Otherwise I can try setting up a second non-premium account and giving it a dry run.  Let me know if you need my help.

Cheers,

Will.

swpalmer

I assume you've been through all this then: http://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_help-ext&eloc=0&loc=911&source_page=&flow=

You can't do this:
http://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_help-ext&eloc=673

to get it to someone's bank account?

And calling them:

QuotePayPal Customer Service Agents are available to help you from 6:00 AM BST until 10:00 PM BST every day.

Call us on: 08707 307 191 (UK national call rates apply)

We can only discuss an account with the account holder. Please have the following information available when you call:

* Your telephone number
   * Your email address
   * The last four digits of your credit card or bank account registered with PayPal

For security reasons, we must verify the above details before discussing any account-specific information.

Was useless?
Surely a company as large as PayPal doing all that business via eBay can handle this problem.

Matzon

Quote from: "swpalmer"Surely a company as large as PayPal doing all that business via eBay can handle this problem.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/ 'nuff said

The biggest problem is that paypal really really really sucks when it comes to support. Basically if you have an issue all they say is:
you have an issue, guess what it is and fix it

Imagine submitting a form, and you get a reply: Sorry, information entered was not valid. You have been charged 10$. Please change to correct values and try again.
With absolutely no help as to WHAT is wrong. That really sucks.

Once this donation stuff is over, I will disable everything even remotely related to paypal. If we ever need to go through somekind of donation again, it will be through some other service with positively better reputation!

elias is working on something, which should go through - we will post a status update soon

javac

Any updates? I've really been looking forward to getting this on OSX!

javac

Awsome, must have missed that post. *waits anxiously*

elias

Update: We finally got hold of a mac (dual g5 with 768 megs of ram and a geforce fx 5200) (hurrah!), after yet another few days of delivering problems. After another day or two waiting for enormous developer packs from the slow apple developer connection, it's ready. Stay tuned for status updates on the software part of the actual port :-)

- elias

swpalmer

Excellent news!  Let me know if you need any help testing, or if you have a specific question about where to find something for the Mac.