LWJGL on Mac OS X (Donation Drive)

Started by Matzon, July 21, 2004, 18:18:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Matzon

The initial Max OS X port was made by Elias on a Mac we borrowed.
With the limited time in hand Elias successfully created a Mac port
(although somewhat crippled). As some of you may know, we have since
then tried many times to get Mac developers to join the team. So far
we have met with limited success. In order to fix the LWJGL Mac port we need
to have a dedicated developer with a Mac willing to offer a lot of spare time.
To that end Elias (or actually the - soon to be - company Oddlabs that is currently working
on Tribal Trouble) has expressed a willingness to purchase a Mac and commit
to finally getting Mac OS X properly supported. As Elias has already proved
his skills, we see this as a very good solution.

However, as many of you know Mac hardware is rather pricey - which is why we
have decided to donate what is in the LWJGL donation fund (It was originally setup
to allow us to do whatever needed to get a Mac port going). We hope to increase
the fund to $1000 USD as fast as possible.

The fund currently holds $90.89 USD. Caspian Rychlik-Prince will
donate $400 (!) to the cause which means we're already halfway! The sooner we reach
the $1000 mark, the sooner the Mac port can be finished!

This is your chance to help out with the LWJGL library! So dig deep ;)

Should we increase this fund to more than $1000 the remaining money will be
kept in the fund, and used to help with creating new features (ie.
purchasing a controller to do the Force Feedback implementation), hosting on a
proper server or other LWJGL causes.

To donate to the LWJGL fund, follow this link:
http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=58488 (Paypal donation).

Note: 10% of all proceeds will go to EFF.
Should you wish to donate directly, without any proceeds going to EFF, you can
do so by sending money to the: brian@matzon.dk paypal account.

Morgrog

so how far/close are we from the goal?

I noticed some folks are giving wopping amount of money to you guys! :D
(I did my share, albeit small, heh I have a new house to pay :cry:)

Matzon

Quote from: "Morgrog"(I did my share, albeit small, heh I have a new house to pay :cry:)
He, All donations are graciously accepted!

Quote from: "Morgrog"so how far/close are we from the goal?
Currently we have received about $200 since the start of the donation which brings us close to the $300 mark. However it would seem that some of the messages about sending money still has to be processed, so I expect more is on the way. We hope that by the 1st when people have gotten a paycheck we'll get a huge influx of cash :twisted: - I know I'm waiting for my paycheck before donating.

Ideally we'll collect a bit more than $1000 so that we have some small reserves for whatever we think of for the LWJGL community.

PlanetMongo

What are you guys looking at picking up?  Specs/model..  I imagine for $1000, you're not looking at a dual G5 machine.   Of course, you can pick up a nice G4 iBook that would probably do the trick for about $950 refurbed from the US Store.
ife sucks, kill yourself.

Matzon

I imagine that oddlabs WILL pick up a dual G5 of some sort, but thats by adding their own money (they start at 2k :shock:).

Gavia

Just added a little more change to the cookie jar...

-Michael

Matzon

Excellent! I'll do a status update tomorrow :)

info to all: My mail is unf*cking believably slow these days - so if you're trying to contact me via email expect at least 12-18 hours delay (!)

Matzon

Small update:
So far we have collected: $338.63 USD
However, this amount is missing a $100 submission by ap_kelly (from JGO), and a $100 from gavia (SF has sent me an email, have yet to see the money on the paypal account :?:)
With that money we will be over the $500 mark!
But we still have a way to go - but I suspect we will get a lot close when we get to the 1st of August, with all those fat paychecks dropping in :)

I'll update again later

Matzon

ohh - and if you've sent any mails the last 2 days to me, please resend since I am suspecious about my provider loosing some of them...
Sorry for the inconvenience

middy

Whats status on this?
um

Matzon

That SF is officially a f*cktard company :evil:
I am waiting for some support requests to come through, taking ages! - then I'll update... We're not there yet - but it's looking good!

vrm

Quote from: "Matzon"That SF is officially a f*cktard company :evil:
I am waiting for some support requests to come through, taking ages! - then I'll update... We're not there yet - but it's looking good!

there donation system is genious everybody is falling on the trick and donate to them ;)

PeterM

Is there anything I can do as a iBook owner to help (aside from donating my Mac)? I'm hoping that it actually 'does' hardware OpenGL - never tried it.

I've no Mac programming experience, but a heck of a lot of Windows programming experience.

PlanetMongo

Heh.. I donated through sf and sent a seperate donation (albeit small :( ) via paypal directly to matzon.
ife sucks, kill yourself.

Matzon

Quote from: "PeterM"Is there anything I can do as a iBook owner to help (aside from donating my Mac)? I'm hoping that it actually 'does' hardware OpenGL - never tried it.
Well, we've had one more offer of help with the mac port, however that person was a bit limited in time, and could only do the ogl stuff - so as it looks now, the best bet is still letting elias do the whole port so that we can be sure we have a fast, maintainable and stable port. He did the initial port, and should be able to crank out a proper port "fast".