LWJGL on Mac OS X (Donation Drive)

Started by Matzon, July 21, 2004, 18:18:16

Previous topic - Next topic

princec

Mac testers are of course especially welcome :)

Cas :)

atze

hm... not sure if you're talking about me, as i did not receive any answer to my emails...

anyway. i have it running fullscreen and in a window. my problem right now is that i do not receive any events - can't even close the window or CMD-Q the app (so fullscreen kills you machine, 'cause you cant quit :). i am not sure if i should try to get a full blown NSApplication running on the obj-c side to do the event-handling, or if i just try to do it the coregraphics way... the jogl implementation has the awt-binding and therefore a complete app-setup (because thats what drives the awt under mac os x).

and if you guys would give me some assistence i might be even handle the rest of the mac-side. how did you do that in the first version? i did not dig deep into Keyboard.cpp and Mouse.cpp.

i won't post my code here. too much for a board. and i had to change some small pieces of the non-mac code. finally i use objc, not cpp. that just not the way to go on a mac :)

Matzon

Status update!

The donation pot currently holds
QuoteU.S. Dollar:     $815.00 USD
We might have a donation more on the way - will have to check with that...
The above number is without Cas's donation - this means we are above the $1000 mark, and working together with Elias we will start to get things rolling.

Though we have reached the target, we will be keeping the donation open, since we're talking about getting hosted somewhere else than sourceforge.

Matzon

Quote from: "atze"hm... not sure if you're talking about me, as i did not receive any answer to my emails...
Hmm, still no answer? One of the things I didn't like about your email, was that you said you didn't have much time to do this kind of work,  which put us a bit off (none of us can maintain obj-c code...)

Quote from: "atze"
anyway. i have it running fullscreen and in a window. my problem right now is that i do not receive any events - can't even close the window or CMD-Q the app (so fullscreen kills you machine, 'cause you cant quit :). i am not sure if i should try to get a full blown NSApplication running on the obj-c side to do the event-handling, or if i just try to do it the coregraphics way... the jogl implementation has the awt-binding and therefore a complete app-setup (because thats what drives the awt under mac os x).
Yes, you need an app-setup alse events are discarded (at least it seems so). Also running Java Web Start craps on the input handling on Mac.

and if you guys would give me some assistence i might be even handle the rest of the mac-side. how did you do that in the first version? i did not dig deep into Keyboard.cpp and Mouse.cpp.
I'll let Elias answer this one :) - No idea.

i won't post my code here. too much for a board. and i had to change some small pieces of the non-mac code. finally i use objc, not cpp. that just not the way to go on a mac :)
Depending on how far along you are (and if you're going in the right direction...) the code could be very valuable - you might want to gra a hold of elias directly

elias

I'd really like to use the java Cocoa binding if at all possible instead of obj-c native code. The non-event issue is very much like the current LWJGL for mac.

You can upload the current source to somewhere public and I'll work from that when I buy the mac.

- elias

swpalmer

Quote from: "elias"I'd really like to use the java Cocoa binding if at all possible instead of obj-c native code.

I recommend against the Java Cocoa bindings.   I don't think that Java Cocoa bindings are suitable for gaming applications.  Many on the java-dev list that Apple runs would say it isn't even suitable for most Cocoa applications.

If you are going with Cocoa, which is the right thing to do, then obj-c is the best way to do it.  And it is not difficult to adapt to the obj-c syntax for the little bits that will be needed.

PlanetMongo

What's the status of the OS X machine acquisition, btw?
ife sucks, kill yourself.

Matzon

Current status is that I am transferring paypal money (that is most of it (900$) - rest later, due to 750â,¬ limit) to my bank account - (5-7 days) when I get it, I'll transfer it to elias's bank account and they'll start the purchase. I will then transfer the remaining 100 later (within 1 month it would seem) to elias.

I'll do an announcement once elias has gotten the first batch, and officially declare the donation event a success :)

Matzon

The actual donation was a success!
Transferring the money from paypal to my account however has gotten messy :/
I entered the bank account information (and verified it several times). I then proceded to transfer the first 900$ - 6 days later the money transfer was rejected. Paypal stating:
QuoteAn electronic funds transfer from your PayPal account to your bank account
was rejected today for this reason:

Invalid Bank Account Information
Since I am 110% certain that the information I entered is correct I  send several mails to paypal, asking what specifically is wrong. Unfortunately they just send back a standard email pertaining to wrong bank information - they don't actually answer any of my questions!

My bank wasn't exactly helpfull. My bank department said that they didn't have any experience with paypal, and didn't know what exactly should be wrong. They also wondered why they didn't use SWIFT or IBAN numbers.

I will be sending a mail to paypal about the possibility of using SWIFT or IBAN instead to transfer the money. I will also be contacting my bank again, for *anyone* actually capable of helping me with paypal (OT, it frightens me that my banks "foreign department" didn't know what paypal is!).

Transaction details
QuoteCurrency Conversion (debit)  From U.S. Dollar To Danish Krone: -$900.00 USD
Currency Conversion (credit)  To Danish Krone  From U.S. Dollar: 5,296.19 DKK
Transfer  From  Cancelled Transfer: -42.00 DKK
Currency Conversion (debit)  From Danish Krone  To U.S. Dollar:  5,249.19
Currency Conversion (credit)  To U.S. Dollar  From Danish Krone: $831.42 USD
As a result of the above mixup, the donation pot took a small hit due to currency conversion and a small (!) fee for failed transaction:
QuoteFee: approx: 6.8
conversion loss: 900 - 6.8 - 831.42: 61,78 (!!)
I know that the dollar has decreased in value over the last period of time, but a loss of almost $62 seems to me like paypal has a ridiculous currency conversion rate.

This leaves a total pot of: $979.06 (actually only 929.06, since I will send my $50 donation directly to elias).
Since we're $20 short of our goal, it's time to do a donation if you haven't already done so ;)

Should I fail to get any meaning full out of paypal and my bank, I will have to transfer the money to someone else that actually know they can get the money out of paypal AND transfer them on to elias. Cas is somewhat out of the question since we'd loose money again from the conversion $ -> £ -> DKR. I am actually thinking of Scott Palmer atm. but I don't know if he's American or Canadian (no insults intended :wink:)

Stay tuned for more info.

Matzon

Hmm currency conversion:
http://www.valutakurser.dk/Currency/ShowGraph.aspx?ValutaID=29926&gdd=18&gmm=8&gyy=2004

August 18th:
 rate: 6,01: $900 -> DKR 5409

August 24th:
 rate 6,15: 5367 (fee deducted) -> $872,68

This means that we should be set back by $27,32  instead of more than double the amount! Thanks paypal...

I am beginning to think that paypal actively wants to make people fail so that they earn more money?
Their Expanded Use Enrollment scheme is also very poorly setup, in that they use some sort of weird way to do it, so I have to contact my bank to get the information.
Well, either that or they just don't know how to deal with non-americans. *sigh*

the2bears

Paypal has a very shi(f/t)ty reputation... things like locking people's accounts etc. I'm unfortunately not surprised you're having troubles.  I hoped that ebay would force them to clean up their act.

On the other hand I donated and I suspect my money went to sourceforge:(

Bill
the2bears - the indie shmup blog

princec

Paypal are scum. Thousands of pages of consumer protection and anti-fraud legislation governing money, credit, transfer, etc. neatly bypassed by one little bit of technology.

Cas :)

middy

The previous game I worked was shrewed by PayPal too.. we are using swereg a swedish based company. They always work and dont shrew you over. They also accept all cards and even brown paper bags.
um

willdenniss

I'm happy to help as a tester.

I'm also willing to chip in to the pot if it's still open, should I still do it through PayPal?

I have transferred money to a German using PayPal before with no troubles - but I certainly am not very trusting of PayPal, it can be a bit of a rip off as you are finding out.

When LWJGL is fully up and running on OS X, I am going to push to have it recognised as an official Xith3D renderer (currently it's not official, although we have been supporting it when upgrading other components).

Will.

Matzon

Quote from: "willdenniss"I'm also willing to chip in to the pot if it's still open, should I still do it through PayPal?
wow, that post was just on time: http://puppygames.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5155

Since you're a "high profile" name, you could be one of our options if we cannot find an american. If we choose you to transfer the money, you could just donate the currency loss (probably in the 10-20$ ranges) when transferring. So don't donate just yet.