Hello Guest

Issue with LWJGL-based game

• 2 Replies
Issue with LWJGL-based game
« on: March 15, 2010, 15:32:27 »
Right, Minecraft (a sort of online block-building simulator) has never worked for me on my computer. I have tried every few months or so in the last year to see if it might have resolved itself but it hasn't. I'm determined to try and fix this once for all before I call it quits.

Whenever I try to run Minecraft (or almost all of the LWJGL demos found here) the applet downloads the package and then java proceeds to immediately crash leaving a black box where the game should be. When java crashes in IE it spits out an error log that can be found here. All non-LWJGL java apps seem to work fine.

I have tried:
  • Reinstalling java.
  • Firefox, IE and Opera.
  • Updating my video card drivers.
  • Clearing my cache and clearing the minecraft.net temporary files.
  • Updating windows.

Specs
Windows Vista 32-Bit SP2
ATI Radeon HD 4850
4GB RAM

All this sort of leads me to think that the problem could lie with the IWJGL base code itself and a conflict with my computer setup. Then again I'm no programmer so I could be talking nonsense.

Thanks

Offline spasi

• WebHotelier
Re: Issue with LWJGL-based game
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 16:15:21 »
I googled a bit and it seems that the problem is related to an ASUS wrapper of the ATI driver that affects 4850 and SwapBuffers. I can see atkogl32.dll in the error log so I'm guessing you have the same problem. Try uninstalling your current driver and installing the one from AMD's site.

Re: Issue with LWJGL-based game
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 04:07:23 »
I did a complete reinstall of the drivers according to these instructions and voila, it works!

Thanks!