Problem of visualization during intersection of surfaces

Started by andretti, March 26, 2005, 14:08:39

Previous topic - Next topic

andretti

Hi, i've coded an algorithm to generate a terrain surface. I store all the height values in a matrix and then, using GL_QUADS, i draw the surface. And everything is ok. The problem comes when i draw a simple and stupid box to simulate water level: when the two surfaces (water and terrain) intersect, i come into problem of visualization. Sometimes i can see regions that should be underwater! And only by changing the viewing angle i can see or not see the water! Sorry, but my english is poor and i don't know exactly how to explain the effect! Then i made an experiment: i draw two rectangles ortogonal and make them intersect and i see the same problem of visualization: the intersection of the two object always produce a strange effect similar to a flickering or a distorsion, not a perfect intersection. I post the initialization code (base on NeHe's tut) and the render method. I think this is a problem of Depth testing but i don't know how to solve it. Can somebody help me? Thank you a lot.

private void initGL() {
      GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D); // Enable Texture Mapping
      GL11.glShadeModel(GL11.GL_SMOOTH); // Enable Smooth Shading
      GL11.glClearColor(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.9f); // Black Background
      GL11.glClearDepth(1.0f); // Depth Buffer Setup
      GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_DEPTH_TEST); // Enables Depth Testing
      GL11.glDepthFunc(GL11.GL_LEQUAL); // The Type Of Depth Testing To Do

GL11.glMatrixMode(GL11.GL_PROJECTION); // Select The Projection Matrix
      GL11.glLoadIdentity(); // Reset The Projection Matrix

// Calculate The Aspect Ratio Of The Window
      GLU.gluPerspective(45.0f, (float) displayMode.getWidth() / (float) displayMode.getWidth(),0.1f,400.0f);
      GL11.glMatrixMode(GL11.GL_MODELVIEW); // Select The Modelview Matrix

// Really Nice Perspective Calculations
      GL11.glHint(GL11.GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT, GL11.GL_NICEST);
      ByteBuffer temp = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(16);
      temp.order(ByteOrder.nativeOrder());
      GL11.glLight(GL11.GL_LIGHT1, GL11.GL_AMBIENT, (FloatBuffer)temp.asFloatBuffer().put(lightAmbient).flip());              // Setup The Ambient Light
      GL11.glLight(GL11.GL_LIGHT1, GL11.GL_DIFFUSE, (FloatBuffer)temp.asFloatBuffer().put(lightDiffuse).flip());              // Setup The Diffuse Light
      GL11.glLight(GL11.GL_LIGHT1, GL11.GL_POSITION,(FloatBuffer)temp.asFloatBuffer().put(lightPosition).flip());         // Position The Light
      GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_LIGHT1);                          // Enable Light One
  }

private boolean render() {
      GL11.glClear(GL11.GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL11.GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);          // Clear The Screen And The Depth Buffer

GL11.glLoadIdentity();                          // Reset The Current Modelview Matrix

GL11.glTranslatef(-10.0f,-10.0f,z);                     // Translate Into/Out Of The Screen By z

GL11.glRotatef(xrot,1.0f,0.0f,0.0f);                        // Rotate On The X Axis By xrot
      GL11.glRotatef(yrot,0.0f,1.0f,0.0f);                        // Rotate On The Y Axis By yrot
      GL11.glBindTexture(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[filter]);                // Select A Texture Based On filter

if (sea) {
      GL11.glBegin(GL11.GL_QUADS);                            // Start Drawing the sea rectangle in beautiful blue!
             GL11.glColor3f(0.313f,0.313f,0.902f);
             //Disegno livello del mare
             GL11.glNormal3f( 0.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f);
             GL11.glVertex3f(0f,0f,0f);
             GL11.glVertex3f(0f,0f,(float)(latoMondo));
             GL11.glVertex3f((float)(latoMondo),0f,(float)(latoMondo));
             GL11.glVertex3f((float)(latoMondo),0f,0f);

GL11.glNormal3f( 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);

GL11.glVertex3f(0f,(livelloMare*normalFactor),0f);
            GL11.glVertex3f(0f,(livelloMare*normalFactor),(float)(latoMondo));
            GL11.glVertex3f((float)(latoMondo),(livelloMare*normalFactor),(float)(latoMondo));
             GL11.glVertex3f((float)(latoMondo),(livelloMare*normalFactor),0f);

GL11.glNormal3f( -1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);

GL11.glNormal3f( 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
            GL11.glVertex3f((float)(latoMondo),(livelloMare*normalFactor),(float)(latoMondo));

GL11.glNormal3f( 0.0f, 0.0f, -1.0f);

GL11.glNormal3f( 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f);

GL11.glEnd();                               // Done Drawing Sea
     }

GL11.glBegin(GL11.GL_QUADS);                            // Start Drawing Terrain

for (int ax=0;ax<map-1;ax++) {
         for (int az=0;az<map-1;az++) {
            choose(altezze[ax][az]);
            GL11.glVertex3f(ax,altezze[ax][az],az);
            choose(altezze[ax+1][az]);
            GL11.glVertex3f(ax+1,altezze[ax+1][az],az);
            choose(altezze[ax+1][az+1]);
            GL11.glVertex3f(ax+1,altezze[ax+1][az+1],az+1);
            choose(altezze[ax][az+1]);
            GL11.glVertex3f(ax,altezze[ax][az+1],az+1);
            }
      }
      GL11.glEnd();                               // Done Drawing terrain

xrot+=xspeed;                               // Add xspeed To xrot
      yrot+=yspeed;                               // Add yspeed To yrot
      return true;
  }

napier

I haven't looked closely at your code (have to run out in a minute), so this is a quick thought:  how many bits are you using for depth testing?

I create Display like so:

int depthBufferBits = 24;
Display.create(new PixelFormat(0, depthBufferBits, 0));  // set bits per buffer: alpha, depth, stencil

When I used 8 bits for depth buffer, or left this at the default value (I think it's 8 ).  my depth testing got odd results, mostly visible when two objects intersected in a large scene.
penGL/Java/LWJGL demos and code: http://potatoland.org/code/gl

andretti

I tried your solution changing Dysplay.create() with the code you wrote. But i got an exception like this "Could not apply pixel format to window". I post the code of a really silly change made to NeHe's Lesson07 that show you very well the effect i want to remove! This code makes two quads (almost perpendicular) intersect themselves. Try rotating a little and then stop rotation with S key when you can see well the two quads (You starts perpendicular to one of them). Then, looking at the two quads intersecting themselves (there's a sort of movement!) go far from them using "Page Up Key" (next or prior key, i don't know how you call them!). Look at the intersection...when you reach a particular distance you won't see them intersect anymore!! This is a very ugly effect!! How can i fix? Remeber to put a file called map.bmp (or change the code appropriately!) in a dir called Data. Thank you very much!

/*
*      This Code Was Created By Jeff Molofee 2000
*      A HUGE Thanks To Fredric Echols For Cleaning Up
*      And Optimizing The Base Code, Making It More Flexible!
*      If You've Found This Code Useful, Please Let Me Know.
*      Visit My Site At nehe.gamedev.net
*/

import java.nio.ByteBuffer;
import java.nio.ByteOrder;
import java.nio.IntBuffer;
import java.nio.FloatBuffer;

import org.lwjgl.opengl.Display;
import org.lwjgl.opengl.DisplayMode;
import org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11;
import org.lwjgl.opengl.glu.GLU;
import org.lwjgl.devil.IL;
import org.lwjgl.input.Keyboard;
import org.lwjgl.opengl.PixelFormat;

/**
* @author Mark Bernard
* date:    16-Nov-2003
* Port of NeHe's Lesson 7 to LWJGL
* Title: Texture Filters, Lighting & Keyboard Control
* Uses version 0.94alpha of LWJGL http://www.lwjgl.org/
* Be sure that the LWJGL libraries are in your classpath
* Ported directly from the C++ version
* 2004-05-08: Updated to version 0.9alpha of LWJGL.
*             Changed from all static to all instance objects.
* 2004-09-22: Updated to version 0.92alpha of LWJGL.
* 2004-12-19: Updated to version 0.94alpha of LWJGL and to use
*             DevIL for image loading.
*/
public class Miniter2 {
  private boolean done = false;
  private boolean fullscreen = false;
  private final String windowTitle = "NeHe's OpenGL Lesson 7 for LWJGL (Texture Filters, Lighting & Keyboard Control)";
  private boolean f1 = false;
  private DisplayMode displayMode;

private boolean light;                                      // Lighting ON / OFF
  private boolean lp;                                         // L Pressed?
  private boolean fp;                                         // F Pressed?
  private float xrot;                                         // X Rotation
  private float yrot;                                         // Y Rotation
  private float xspeed;                                       // X Rotation Speed
  private float yspeed;                                       // Y Rotation Speed
  private float z = -5.0f;                                        // Depth Into The Screen
  private float lightAmbient[] = { 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f, 1.0f };  // Ambient Light Values ( NEW )
  private float lightDiffuse[] = { 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f };      // Diffuse Light Values ( NEW )
  private float lightPosition[] = { 0.0f, 0.0f, 2.0f, 1.0f }; // Light Position ( NEW )
  private int filter;                                         // Which Filter To Use
  private int texture[] = new int[3];                         // Storage for 3 textures
  private boolean keys[] = new boolean[9];
  public float startx=20f;

public static void main(String args[]) {
      boolean fullscreen = false;
      if(args.length>0) {
          if(args[0].equalsIgnoreCase("fullscreen")) {
              fullscreen = true;
          }
      }

Miniter2 l7 = new Miniter2();
      l7.run(fullscreen);
  }
  public void run(boolean fullscreen) {
      this.fullscreen = fullscreen;
      try {
          init();
          while (!done) {
              mainloop();
              render();
              Display.update();
          }
          cleanup();
      }
      catch (Exception e) {
          e.printStackTrace();
          System.exit(0);
      }
  }
  private void mainloop() {
      if(Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_ESCAPE)) {       // Exit if Escape is pressed
          done = true;
      }
      if(Display.isCloseRequested()) {                     // Exit if window is closed
          done = true;
      }
      if(Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_F1) && !f1) {    // Is F1 Being Pressed?
          f1 = true;                                      // Tell Program F1 Is Being Held
          switchMode();                                   // Toggle Fullscreen / Windowed Mode
      }
      if(!Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_F1)) {          // Is F1 Being Pressed?
          f1 = false;
      }
      if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_L) && !lp) {
          lp=true;
          light=!light;
          if (!light)                             // If Not Light
          {
              GL11.glDisable(GL11.GL_LIGHTING);       // Disable Lighting
          }
          else                                    // Otherwise
          {
              GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_LIGHTING);        // Enable Lighting
          }
      }
      else if (!Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_L)) {
          lp=false;
      }
      if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_F) && !fp) {    // Is F Key Being Pressed?
          fp=true;                                // fp Becomes TRUE
          filter+=1;                              // filter Value Increases By One
          if (filter>2            )               // Is Value Greater Than 2?
          {
              filter=0;                           // If So, Set filter To 0
          }
      }
      else if (!Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_F)) {     // Has F Key Been Released?
          fp=false;                               // If So, fp Becomes FALSE
      }
      if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_PRIOR)) {       // Is Page Up Being Pressed?
          z-=1f;                               // If So, Move Into The Screen
      }
      if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_NEXT)) {        // Is Page Down Being Pressed?
          z+=1f;                               // If So, Move Towards The Viewer
      }
      if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_UP)) {          // Is Up Arrow Being Pressed?
          xspeed-=0.01f;                          // If So, Decrease xspeed
      }
      if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_DOWN)) {        // Is Down Arrow Being Pressed?
          xspeed+=0.01f;                          // If So, Increase xspeed
      }
      if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_RIGHT)) {       // Is Right Arrow Being Pressed?
          yspeed+=0.01f;                          // If So, Increase yspeed
      }
      if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_LEFT)) {        // Is Left Arrow Being Pressed?
          yspeed-=0.01f;                          // If So, Decrease yspeed
      }
      if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_S)) {        // Is Left Arrow Being Pressed?
          yspeed=0.0f;                          // If So, Decrease yspeed
          xspeed=0.0f;                          // If So, Decrease yspeed
      }
  }
  private void switchMode() {
      fullscreen = !fullscreen;
      try {
          Display.setFullscreen(fullscreen);
      }
      catch(Exception e) {
          e.printStackTrace();
      }
  }

private boolean render() {
      GL11.glClear(GL11.GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL11.GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);          // Clear The Screen And The Depth Buffer

GL11.glLoadIdentity();                          // Reset The Current Modelview Matrix

GL11.glTranslatef(0.0f,0.0f,z);                     // Translate Into/Out Of The Screen By z

GL11.glRotatef(xrot,1.0f,0.0f,0.0f);                        // Rotate On The X Axis By xrot
      GL11.glRotatef(yrot,0.0f,1.0f,0.0f);                        // Rotate On The Y Axis By yrot
      GL11.glBindTexture(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[filter]);                // Select A Texture Based On filter

startx=startx-0.5f;
      if (startx<-20f)
         startx=20f;

GL11.glBegin(GL11.GL_QUADS);                            // Start Drawing Quads
                   GL11.glColor3f(0.313f,0.313f,0.902f);
                   //Disegno livello del mare

GL11.glNormal3f(0.0f,-1.0f,0.0f);
                 GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(startx,0f,-5.0f);
                 GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(startx+10f,0f,-5.0f);
                 GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(startx+10f,0f,5f);
                 GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(startx,0f,5f);

GL11.glColor3f(1f,0f,0f);
                 GL11.glNormal3f(0.0f,0.0f,-1.0f);
                 GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(-5.0f,5f,2f);
                 GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(5f,5f,2f);
                 GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(5f,-5f,0f);
                 GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(-5f,-5f,0f);

GL11.glEnd();

/*
      GL11.glBegin(GL11.GL_QUADS);                            // Start Drawing Quads
      // Front Face
      GL11.glNormal3f( 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f);                 // Normal Pointing Towards Viewer
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(-1.0f, -1.0f,  1.0f);    // Point 1 (Front)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f( 1.0f, -1.0f,  1.0f);    // Point 2 (Front)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f( 1.0f,  1.0f,  1.0f);    // Point 3 (Front)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(-1.0f,  1.0f,  1.0f);    // Point 4 (Front)
      // Back Face
      GL11.glNormal3f( 0.0f, 0.0f,-1.0f);                 // Normal Pointing Away From Viewer
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(-1.0f, -1.0f, -1.0f);    // Point 1 (Back)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(-1.0f,  1.0f, -1.0f);    // Point 2 (Back)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f( 1.0f,  1.0f, -1.0f);    // Point 3 (Back)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f( 1.0f, -1.0f, -1.0f);    // Point 4 (Back)
      // Top Face
      GL11.glNormal3f( 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);                 // Normal Pointing Up
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(-1.0f,  1.0f, -1.0f);    // Point 1 (Top)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(-1.0f,  1.0f,  1.0f);    // Point 2 (Top)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f( 1.0f,  1.0f,  1.0f);    // Point 3 (Top)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f( 1.0f,  1.0f, -1.0f);    // Point 4 (Top)
      // Bottom Face
      GL11.glNormal3f( 0.0f,-1.0f, 0.0f);                 // Normal Pointing Down
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(-1.0f, -1.0f, -1.0f);    // Point 1 (Bottom)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f( 1.0f, -1.0f, -1.0f);    // Point 2 (Bottom)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f( 1.0f, -1.0f,  1.0f);    // Point 3 (Bottom)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(-1.0f, -1.0f,  1.0f);    // Point 4 (Bottom)
      // Right face
      GL11.glNormal3f( 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);                 // Normal Pointing Right
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f( 1.0f, -1.0f, -1.0f);    // Point 1 (Right)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f( 1.0f,  1.0f, -1.0f);    // Point 2 (Right)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f( 1.0f,  1.0f,  1.0f);    // Point 3 (Right)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f( 1.0f, -1.0f,  1.0f);    // Point 4 (Right)
      // Left Face
      GL11.glNormal3f(-1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);                 // Normal Pointing Left
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(-1.0f, -1.0f, -1.0f);    // Point 1 (Left)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(-1.0f, -1.0f,  1.0f);    // Point 2 (Left)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(-1.0f,  1.0f,  1.0f);    // Point 3 (Left)
      GL11.glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); GL11.glVertex3f(-1.0f,  1.0f, -1.0f);    // Point 4 (Left)
      GL11.glEnd();                               // Done Drawing Quads
      */

xrot+=xspeed;                               // Add xspeed To xrot
      yrot+=yspeed;                               // Add yspeed To yrot
      return true;
  }
  private void createWindow() throws Exception {
      Display.setFullscreen(fullscreen);
      DisplayMode d[] = Display.getAvailableDisplayModes();
      for (int i = 0; i < d.length; i++) {
          if (d.getWidth() == 640
              && d.getHeight() == 480
              && d.getBitsPerPixel() == 32) {
              displayMode = d;
              break;
          }
      }
      Display.setDisplayMode(displayMode);
      Display.setTitle(windowTitle);
      Display.create();
  }
  private void init() throws Exception {
      createWindow();
      IL.create();

loadTextures();
      initGL();
  }
  private void loadTextures() {
      texture = loadTexture("Data/map.bmp");
  }
  private void initGL() {
      GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D); // Enable Texture Mapping
      GL11.glShadeModel(GL11.GL_SMOOTH); // Enable Smooth Shading
      GL11.glClearColor(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); // Black Background
      GL11.glClearDepth(1.0f); // Depth Buffer Setup
      GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_DEPTH_TEST); // Enables Depth Testing
      GL11.glDepthFunc(GL11.GL_LEQUAL); // The Type Of Depth Testing To Do

GL11.glMatrixMode(GL11.GL_PROJECTION); // Select The Projection Matrix
      GL11.glLoadIdentity(); // Reset The Projection Matrix

// Calculate The Aspect Ratio Of The Window
      GLU.gluPerspective(45.0f, (float) displayMode.getWidth() / (float) displayMode.getWidth(),0.1f,800.0f);
      GL11.glMatrixMode(GL11.GL_MODELVIEW); // Select The Modelview Matrix

// Really Nice Perspective Calculations
      GL11.glHint(GL11.GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT, GL11.GL_NICEST);
      //GL11.glPolygonMode(GL11.GL_FRONT, GL11.GL_FILL);
      //GL11.glPolygonMode(GL11.GL_BACK, GL11.GL_LINE);
      ByteBuffer temp = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(16);
      temp.order(ByteOrder.nativeOrder());
      GL11.glLight(GL11.GL_LIGHT1, GL11.GL_AMBIENT, (FloatBuffer)temp.asFloatBuffer().put(lightAmbient).flip());              // Setup The Ambient Light
      GL11.glLight(GL11.GL_LIGHT1, GL11.GL_DIFFUSE, (FloatBuffer)temp.asFloatBuffer().put(lightDiffuse).flip());              // Setup The Diffuse Light
      GL11.glLight(GL11.GL_LIGHT1, GL11.GL_POSITION,(FloatBuffer)temp.asFloatBuffer().put(lightPosition).flip());         // Position The Light
      GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_LIGHT1);                          // Enable Light One
  }
  private void cleanup() {
      Display.destroy();
  }
  /**
   * Texture loading directly from LWJGL examples
   */
  private int[] loadTexture(String path) {
      IntBuffer image = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(4).order(ByteOrder.nativeOrder()).asIntBuffer();
      IL.ilGenImages(1, image);
      IL.ilBindImage(image.get(0));
      IL.ilLoadImage(path);
      IL.ilConvertImage(IL.IL_RGB, IL.IL_BYTE);
      ByteBuffer scratch = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(IL.ilGetInteger(IL.IL_IMAGE_WIDTH) * IL.ilGetInteger(IL.IL_IMAGE_HEIGHT) * 3);
      IL.ilCopyPixels(0, 0, 0, IL.ilGetInteger(IL.IL_IMAGE_WIDTH), IL.ilGetInteger(IL.IL_IMAGE_HEIGHT), 1, IL.IL_RGB, IL.IL_BYTE, scratch);

// Create A IntBuffer For Image Address In Memory
      IntBuffer buf = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(12).order(ByteOrder.nativeOrder()).asIntBuffer();
      GL11.glGenTextures(buf); // Create Texture In OpenGL

GL11.glBindTexture(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, buf.get(0));
      // Typical Texture Generation Using Data From The Image

// Create Nearest Filtered Texture
      GL11.glBindTexture(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, buf.get(0));
      GL11.glTexParameteri(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL11.GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL11.GL_NEAREST);
      GL11.glTexParameteri(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL11.GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL11.GL_NEAREST);
      GL11.glTexImage2D(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL11.GL_RGB, IL.ilGetInteger(IL.IL_IMAGE_WIDTH),
              IL.ilGetInteger(IL.IL_IMAGE_HEIGHT), 0, GL11.GL_RGB, GL11.GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, scratch);

// Create Linear Filtered Texture
      GL11.glBindTexture(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, buf.get(1));
      GL11.glTexParameteri(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL11.GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL11.GL_LINEAR);
      GL11.glTexParameteri(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL11.GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL11.GL_LINEAR);
      GL11.glTexImage2D(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL11.GL_RGB, IL.ilGetInteger(IL.IL_IMAGE_WIDTH),
              IL.ilGetInteger(IL.IL_IMAGE_HEIGHT), 0, GL11.GL_RGB, GL11.GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, scratch);

// Create MipMapped Texture
      GL11.glBindTexture(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, buf.get(2));
      GL11.glTexParameteri(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL11.GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL11.GL_LINEAR);
      GL11.glTexParameteri(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL11.GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL11.GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST);
      GLU.gluBuild2DMipmaps(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, 3, IL.ilGetInteger(IL.IL_IMAGE_WIDTH),
              IL.ilGetInteger(IL.IL_IMAGE_HEIGHT), GL11.GL_RGB, GL11.GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, scratch);

return new int[]{ buf.get(0), buf.get(1), buf.get(2) };     // Return Image Addresses In Memory
  }
}

napier

This sounds very familiar to the problem I was having, and the fix for me was to increase the number of bits per pixel in the depth buffer (from 8 to 24).  

24 bits provides a finer range of Z values, which improves the resolution of the depth test, especially valuable when zooming out of a scene as you describe.

The error you got suggests that your grafix card or video drivers do not support higher resolution in the depth buffer.  Take a look at this thread for another case of the "Could not apply pixel format to window" error:

http://lwjgl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=999
penGL/Java/LWJGL demos and code: http://potatoland.org/code/gl

tomb

The fix is to push forward the near clipping plane as much as possible. It is the 3rd parameter in the following function:
QuoteGLU.gluPerspective(45.0f, (float) displayMode.getWidth() / (float) displayMode.getWidth(),0.1f,800.0f);

Instead of 0.1f try as high value as possible while still seeing the objects. Begin with 10.0f. That would give you enough precission. This can be a problem with landscape engines where you need to render large areas and also detailed object up close. There are other workarounds if you can't get a 24 bit depth buffer and you need the close clipping plane. You would have to render the scene several time each with a different set a near/far plane. Draw it twice with 0.1f, 10.0f and 10.0f,800.0f, etc.

andretti

That was the problem! Pushing away the view plane has solved the problem...at the high cost of losing control when i'm too near to the objects! It'll be a great trouble to code a changing view plane! I think that the problem about the depth buffer is due to my graphic card...an old matroxG200!! Maybe they don't even know what was a depth buffer at that time and xp drivers were updated too much time ago! Thank you all!