Hello Guest

How does GLU work with LWJGL?

• 8 Replies
« on: June 15, 2003, 20:59:20 »
How does GLU work with LWJGL?  is it also built into the API?

Alos, I was reading the thread on the new way LWJGL was going.  What I got is that you are making it more object oriented (less pointers) I guess. Does this mean that I can no longer learn how to use it by reading the The OpenGL programming guide (The Red book)?

Also, will you guys be publishing a book on LWJGL? (like a PDF file)

Re: How does GLU work with LWJGL?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2003, 21:11:20 »
Quote from: "Virum"
How does GLU work with LWJGL?  is it also built into the API?

Sure, just pass an instance of GL into its constructor:

Code: [Select]
GLU glu = new GLU(gl) ;

Alos, I was reading the thread on the new way LWJGL was going.  What I got is that you are making it more object oriented (less pointers) I guess. Does this mean that I can no longer learn how to use it by reading the The OpenGL programming guide (The Red book)?

I would guess that Redbook will still be useful.  The removal of pointers is more the removal of the native addresses we're passing around.  From what I read the API will stay as close to the C API as possible.
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.

Offline princec

• Puppygames
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2003, 21:58:01 »
I might write a book on it next year. Perhaps with Elias' and Brian's if they're willing. First I have to make sure that LWJGL becomes the de facto standard for Java game programming.

Cas :)

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 14:17:06 »
First I have to make sure that LWJGL becomes the de facto standard for Java game programming.

Well, Sun are doing all they can to help by shooting their own legs off with their offerings, so the chances are good...

Thanks!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 00:06:46 »
Thanks for the replies.  :)

Princec, I'm pretty sure you rlobrary will become the standard......Sun shoudl just scratch their libraries and use yours. :D

Offline Zane

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 21:01:32 »
I'm curious Cas,
How does all the JOGL stuff relate to LWJGL becoming a standard?
Does it mean that it probably won't or should I not make that assumption at this point?

-D

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 21:19:15 »
Quote from: "Zane"
I'm curious Cas,
How does all the JOGL stuff relate to LWJGL becoming a standard?
Does it mean that it probably won't or should I not make that assumption at this point?

-D

From what I understand, princec want LWJGL to be Java's official Gaming library, not the official OpenGL bindings.  So I guess JOGL will become the official bindings (and more than likely fairly slow) so it will be good for like non-game 3D apps, but not for games.  LWJGL will be for games only really.

Princec, could you guys work on making LWJGL run better in windowed mode?  Pretty please?

Offline princec

• Puppygames
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 09:26:49 »
It works fine in windowed mode! More or less :) It's still only officially a debugging mode though.

We want LWJGL to become the defacto standard for writing Java games. It'll never become the endorsed standard coz Sun has gone and brushed it aside.

At the end of the day, we just want LWJGL to be easier to use with less to worry about than all the other implementations. And easier to port to strange devices like Playstation...

Cas :)

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2003, 10:54:14 »
Hehe, imagine:

-    gcj 3.5 (this winter?) - Hopefully including ImageIO + java.nio and usual stuff - ie "all" that is required to build gcc native compiled java games with lwjgl)
-    "Some clever kid"(tm) does a backend "emitter" (?) for gcc to some interesting gaming platform in, say, oktober - november *cough*playstation*cough*
-    Christmas comes and everybody wants this shiny new gaming console as it have broadband connection and even a kitchen sink included.

=> Where do all these people find demos to try out or games to buy online, and with what technology are these demos/games they find written in ;)

+ That the same game will run unchanged (knock on wood) on regular windows, osx and linux PC's too! I guess even microsoft can become a little shaky then :))