Unix compatibility

Started by amoeba, August 18, 2004, 13:33:07

Previous topic - Next topic

amoeba

Should LWJGL be compatible with unix? A friend just tried out my demo, and got the following errors;

Unix Errors (j2re1.4.2)
./lwjgl_test.jar: PK^C^D: not found
./lwjgl_test.jar: 2~\3670: not found
./lwjgl_test.jar: 3\223\213\362\213+\213KRs\213^U: not found
./lwjgl_test.jar: %~\3670: not found
./lwjgl_test.jar: org/lwjgl/PK^C^D: not found
./lwjgl_test.jar: %~\3670^Oorg/lwjgl/test/PK^C^D: not found
./lwjgl_test.jar: %~\3670^Uorg/lwjgl/test/fmod3/PK^C^D: not found
./lwjgl_test.jar: %~\3670^Uorg/lwjgl/test/input/PK^C^D: not found
./lwjgl_test.jar: %~\3670^Vorg/lwjgl/test/openal/PK^C^D: not found
./lwjgl_test.jar: %~\3670^Vorg/lwjgl/test/opengl/PK^C^D: not found
./lwjgl_test.jar:
3q^VB\3347T\334^WPpG\334\317\201^O\245G\316\361^O\360\223\377\215\337\324{g\246
M: not found
./lwjgl_test.jar:
%~\3670^^org/lwjgl/test/opengl/shaders/PK^C^D^T^H^H%~\3670^\org/lwjgl/test/SysT
est.class}V\351w^SU^T\377^M\244\3445^L^H\201^BZ\260\257\270\220BI^P^W\240\200\3
20\322R\212e\221R*: not found
./lwjgl_test.jar: syntax error at line 12: `)' unexpected
./lwjgl_util.jar: PK^C^D: not found
./lwjgl_util.jar: 2~\3670: not found
./lwjgl_util.jar: 3\223\213\362\213+\213KRs\213^U: not found
./lwjgl_util.jar: %~\3670: not found
./lwjgl_util.jar: org/lwjgl/PK^C^D: not found
./lwjgl_util.jar: %~\3670^Oorg/lwjgl/util/PK^C^D: not found
./lwjgl_util.jar: %~\3670^Uorg/lwjgl/util/model/PK^C^D: not found
./lwjgl_util.jar: %~\3670^^org/lwjgl/util/model/renderer/PK^C^D: not found
./lwjgl_util.jar: %~\3670^]org/lwjgl/util/model/loaders/PK^C^D: not found
./lwjgl_util.jar: syntax error at line 12: `)' unexpected

elias

erh...I'm not sure what is going on.

It seems like your friend ran it like some kind of script, is that correct? Anyway, LWJGL is only compiled and tested for x86 linux with glibc 2.3 and XFree86 X server.

- elias

amoeba

I didnt realise that there were seperate unix downloads for the jar files, so he was trying the windows ones.

Sorry my mistake. Dont know if the unix ones work mind....

elias

The lwjgl.jar is the same on all platforms. But I can't see how he's getting all those errors. It looks like he just ran the jar file with "sh lwjgl.jar" or something.

- elias

the2bears

Yet went to the effort of doing a chmod +x lwjgl.jar:)

I'd actually be interested in hearing about people getting this to work on Unix varieties.  I've got an old Irix box lying around that I love dearly, though it's slow as molasses.  Sigh... since they did start OpenGL it would be somehow fitting.

Bill
the2bears - the indie shmup blog

cfmdobbie

Ugh.  IRIX is rather different from most other Unixes, to the point that a simple port often becomes a serious nightmare.

I think it's worth a try, if only to add another OS to the supported list.  But I wouldn't set your heart on anyone completing it! :?
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.

PlanetMongo

Wow.. java 1.4.1 is available (with 64bit Hotspot?) for IRIX.  I did not know that.  It would definately be niche, just like a BSD port, but it might make for a fun "project" for someone to try *cough*me*cough* if they didn't have a million excuses *hackcough*me*hackcough*.

Well, I don't have an IRIX box, that's a good enough excuse, although I think I can pick up one for "cheap" on ebay...
ife sucks, kill yourself.

the2bears

The 1.4.1 for Irix works fairly well, at least I've been able get our Jini platform from work running on it without any major hitches.  'Course that's a backend service architecture that doesn't do anything with a GUI let alone use OpenGL.

My poor old O2 is available for testing, but I'm afraid I haven't done C/C++ in so long...

Bill

ps.  I think this is actually a "dream sequence" thread that might never see the light of day.  Oh well, nice to imagine.

PlanetMongo

Jesus christ.  Did you know you can get a 16 cpu SGI Origin 200 (250mhz each) for under $2k USD on ebay?  My lord.  Of course, I'm sure shipping would be a nightmare.  

How much do you know about SGI's and if someone were to be in the market to look for something to do something like you're discussing (porting lwjgl over to IRIX), what hardware would you be looking at?  O2's?  Indy's?  ORIGIN 200?  :)

PS:  Where's Princeton, NJ?  I was just in Secaucus this week (got in this morning) for work, auditing N. New Jersey Postal Routes.  We were in "South" Jersey (stayed near Philly in Woodbury, I did a lot of routes near Oyster Bay) a few weeks ago...

the2bears

Quote from: "PlanetMongo"Jesus christ.  Did you know you can get a 16 cpu SGI Origin 200 (250mhz each) for under $2k USD on ebay?  My lord.  Of course, I'm sure shipping would be a nightmare.  

The sad life of hardware past its prime:P  I got my O2 a couple years ago for $250 - worth every penny for a piece of history.  Great examples of industrial design - the aesthetics of the box are cool.

QuoteHow much do you know about SGI's and if someone were to be in the market to look for something to do something like you're discussing (porting lwjgl over to IRIX), what hardware would you be looking at?  O2's?  Indy's?  ORIGIN 200?  :)

I know not much, and unfortunately don't have my bookmarks anymore but there are some good sites about buying old SGI hardware.  There was one site, "anythingbutbeige"  or somesuch.

QuotePS:  Where's Princeton, NJ?  I was just in Secaucus this week (got in this morning) for work, auditing N. New Jersey Postal Routes.  We were in "South" Jersey (stayed near Philly in Woodbury, I did a lot of routes near Oyster Bay) a few weeks ago...

Princton's smack in the middle between NYC and Philly, north of Trenton a little, right on Route 1.  This part of NJ is not like anyone's pre-conceived notions.  I was very pleasantly surprised to arrive here a few years ago and see how nice the area is.  Truly the "Garden State" around here.

Bill

PlanetMongo

I think we had a reviewer go down your way this week (near Trenton).  I did some routes in Boonton and Denville and saw a ton of deer in Boonton.  I find the more inland you stay, the better the smell, at least.  Oyster Bay smelled horrible.   Of course, I was also in East Orange, talk about scary.  :P