How to solve LWJGL3 work arounds ?

Started by JackDawson, June 01, 2015, 12:08:25

Previous topic - Next topic

SHC

I'm in the process of updating (re-writing) my LWJGL Tutorial Series to the latest version, LWJGL 3.

http://goharsha.com/lwjgl-tutorial-series/

I'll try to list the differences between 2.9.X and 3.X that I have noticed.

• Switch to GLFW as the implementation of the windowing and input library.
  • Removed stripping of function postfixes for OpenGL functions.
  • No AWT & JavaFX integration.
  • Deprecation of LWJGL_Utils library and GLU classes.
These are the only things that differ from LWJGL 2.9.X that I have noticed.

JackDawson

Quote from: SHC on June 01, 2015, 17:00:35
I'm in the process of updating (re-writing) my LWJGL Tutorial Series to the latest version, LWJGL 3.

http://goharsha.com/lwjgl-tutorial-series/

I'll try to list the differences between 2.9.X and 3.X that I have noticed.

• Switch to GLFW as the implementation of the windowing and input library.
  • Removed stripping of function postfixes for OpenGL functions.
  • No AWT & JavaFX integration.
  • Deprecation of LWJGL_Utils library and GLU classes.
These are the only things that differ from LWJGL 2.9.X that I have noticed.

Bookmarked. Thank you !!!!

Kai

Quote from: JackDawson on June 01, 2015, 15:35:44
But the question is about AWT. Is this ok to use ? This all has to do with the display.
Can you explain why exactly you need AWT?
Is it because of a multi-window setup or is it because you want to integrate rendering (maybe as a AWT Panel component) into some other AWT application?
If the former is the case, then with LWJGL 3 using GLFW you can create as many windows as you like on as many displays/monitors as you like without using AWT.
If the latter is the case, then it seems that embedding a LWJGL 3 render component into an AWT component hierarchy is simply not possible right now. :(

JackDawson

Quote from: Kai on June 02, 2015, 11:56:48
Quote from: JackDawson on June 01, 2015, 15:35:44
But the question is about AWT. Is this ok to use ? This all has to do with the display.
Can you explain why exactly you need AWT?
Is it because of a multi-window setup or is it because you want to integrate rendering (maybe as a AWT Panel component) into some other AWT application?
If the former is the case, then with LWJGL 3 using GLFW you can create as many windows as you like on as many displays/monitors as you like without using AWT.
If the latter is the case, then it seems that embedding a LWJGL 3 render component into an AWT component hierarchy is simply not possible right now. :(

Actually quite the opposite, I want to get away from AWT. But in the past I used to have to use it almost all the time. Ever since I realized Version 3 of LWJGL, I have done some reading and people are saying it replaced AWT. so my question is ..  is it true ? Is AWT replaced and no longer needed with LWJGL3 ?

I am using GLFW. But for future info and reference, this is why I am asking about the AWT.

Kai

AWT is not "replaced" by LWJGL 3 or GLFW.
AWT is a window toolkit, like SWT for Java or Qt for native programming, which allows you to interface with the window manager of the operating system and allows you to build windowed applications with widgets (you know, buttons and sliders and tables and all sorts of GUI components).
It's just that with LWJGL 3 you don't need AWT anymore to create a simple render window.

JackDawson

Quote from: Kai on June 02, 2015, 16:04:39
AWT is not "replaced" by LWJGL 3 or GLFW.
AWT is a window toolkit, like SWT for Java or Qt for native programming, which allows you to interface with the window manager of the operating system and allows you to build windowed applications with widgets (you know, buttons and sliders and tables and all sorts of GUI components).
It's just that with LWJGL 3 you don't need AWT anymore to create a simple render window.

Very cool. Thank you. :)