OpenGL drivers out of date on 2012 macbook pro

Started by 1C0N1C, August 18, 2014, 19:36:51

Previous topic - Next topic

1C0N1C

I have recently taken to programming in Java with LWJGL. I have been following a tutorial series on how to make a game engine using this library. However, I have been getting a lot of errors despite the fact that I copied his code exactly, and later used the exact code he typed to troubleshoot. I asked him about it and he said that it was probably because my OpenGl was out of date. Sure enough, when I checked, I discovered that I was running OpenGL 2.1, and needed at least openGl 3.0 to follow his tutorial. When I searched around on how to update my drivers, it said that you needed update your OS X. However, I am currently running the latest version of Mavericks, and have a 2012 retina Macbook Pro. According to this apple help page: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5942?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

my particular model should be running OpenGL 4.1, not 2.1. How on earth could this have happened, and what do I need to do to update my drivers? Thanks so much in advance!

Cornix

Perhaps you should rather ask this question in an apple support forum. This forum is mainly for problems with OpenGL programming.

abcdef

There are other posts on this topic ( I believe I have asked this before too). On apple Mac you need to explicitly say you want to run on opengl 3+. You can do this when you create the display. Find the other posts and you will have your answer (I am on my phone so can't search easily)

ra4king

You should explicitly ask for OpenGL 3+ using the ContextAttribs object you give to an overloaded method of Display.create().

Display.create(new PixelFormat(), new ContextAttribs(4, 1).withProfileCore(true)); // major, minor
-Roi