Hello Guest

Please share your experience with SSL certificates & code signing

• 3 Replies
Hey. This is a cross-post from the jME forum.

We're considering buying and SSL certificate, so we're just wondering if the LWJGL developers and community at large might have any experience to share that could save us some trouble. I'll be watching both threads so post wherever you'd like.

Offline Matzon

Re: Please share your experience with SSL certificates & code signing
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:16:58 »
I don't know if there is a big difference in getting an SSL certificate or a Codesigning certificate. LWJGL has the latter, and I assume that's what you really want?

The primary and most important issue with Open Source, particularly online collaborative project such as jME and LWJGL, is that it MUST be a *legal* entity. This is one of the reasons why LWJGL for several years was signed by Oddlabs. With Elias no longer active in the project, that was basically no longer an option.

So for LWJGL, I registered whats called an 'Frivillig Forening', in Denmark. This type is basically the closest thing you get to a non-profit, ownerless organization. You may have a similar thing.

Once you have that, let me know - I may be able to hook you up with a free 2 year code signing certificate from thawte.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 18:32:31 »
That's very useful information, thanks a lot. I'm a Norwegian citizen but living in Canada now, so I'd probably have to set that up from here. You're basically talking about registering as a "Non-profit" right?

I'll look into our options and get back to you on that offer, thanks.

Offline Matzon

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 20:48:09 »
You're basically talking about registering as a "Non-profit" right?

Well, technically, the CA really don't give a shit - as long as you're a "legal entity". But it makes sense to chose a structure that is as flexible as possible with as little ownership as possible. IMO.