Hello Guest

64 bit JVM problem with OpenAL library

• 5 Replies
64 bit JVM problem with OpenAL library
« on: December 14, 2007, 00:03:34 »
Hello community:

I have experienced some problems with the 32-bit precompiled library libopenal.so (bundled with lwjgl) in my 64-bit Java VM, and so far I have been able to deal with them by compiling my own libopenal.so from source to have a 64-bit version, and then just overwriting the original with this one.

It would be, however, very good to modify the AL.create() method to search for the libopenal64.so library as well as the two usual libopenal.so and libopenal.so.1, and provide this library in the bundle. The main reason being because right now I want to deploy an application, and I don't want my target users to have to deal with this issue, an because latter most VM will be 64-bit anyway... it does not break compatibility, and should be a quick fix.

Thanks,

Re: 64 bit JVM problem with OpenAL library
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 19:19:07 »
*Bump*

I hate to bump messages, but this has remained unanswered for quite a while, and I think it is a valid suggestion... If not, please let me know.

Offline Matzon

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 21:15:20 »
is there a 64bit version of openal distributed ?

What will their names be?:

libopenal64.so
OpenAL64.dll
libopenal64.dylib

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 20:03:39 »
Well, OpenAL is not distributed in 64-bits, but it is not changed much (last release is Feb 2006), and it is distributed in source, so people can create their own 64 binaries.

The names of the libraries could include the postfix 64 to differentiate them (in the case of MAC, it could be a universal library with 4 archs, 32/64 and ppc/intel, I have seen that done before). The only requirement would be to instruct LWJGL to attempt to load those names too (with the 64 in them), which is what I originally suggested.

Thanks a lot!

Offline Matzon

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 12:02:44 »
my main issue with this is that there is no agreed upon naming of, since there is no distribution of it. Not sure if it is wise to assume current name with 64 slapped on (OpenAL32.dll would ofcourse be OpenAL64.dll).
Can't see the harm either tho  - anyone ?

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 01:38:13 »
Well, nobody seems to be against it (technically no-one is pro it, either...  :P), but I think it would be a good idea to just put the 64 at the end, and thus have a really 64-bit version of LWJGL.  :)