Hello Guest

Utter newbee overview question

• 11 Replies
« on: March 28, 2006, 17:01:02 »
Hi Folks,

I'm a Java developer with a new interest, hell yeah. I'm currently working my way through a massive quantity of tutorials on modeling/animation.

My question is this:
When creating a game, what is the more common way to store your data.

In other words:
In which structures do you put your meshes/skeletons/animations/other stuff i'm not yet aware of.

I know meshes come in obj format, but i'm wondering where the other stuff should come from :P

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 18:57:54 »
There's a common way? Where was I when this was decided? :P
=-=-=-=-=-======-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.tommytwisters.com

hmmmmmmm....
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 20:50:56 »
There's a common way? Where was I when this was decided? :P

Didn't you hear? Everyone is using XML files for their modeling and animation now!  :lol:

Unfortunatly, there is no "common" way to store animations and stuff. You just have to use what you have. Textures are usually stored in .tga or .png file types (but even that is not really "common" :) )
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 17:55:19 »
:oops: errr...., that does not compute :oops:

The field I come from, is mostly govereigned by *buzz* design patterns *buzz*. That is, every problem still askes for it's own unique solution, but we try to reuse the patterns with which they are implemented. So when you want to tackle a ceirtain problem, you can use the pattern an other (quite desimmilar) solution.

I refuse to believe every other game is the product of a bizarre co-incidence of stuff coming together.

There must a general approach (i know, i should be more creative and less pragmatic. but hey, that's how i tick).

hmmmmmm...
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 18:26:17 »
I guess you could say that the general approach is choose the best way for the game engine that is made (if your game engine handles .png textures well, then use .png textures. If your game engine handles .obj files well, then use .obj files)

Some game engines use there own (completely unique) file formats (models, textures, etc. have to be converted into these formats for the engine to recognize them). The advantage to this is that they are loaded faster because the format is directly in tune with the internal structure that the engine uses to render the objects and doesn't have to be converted during loading.

I know you are probably looking for a "the best way is this" approach, but there is not really a "best" way that works for all game engines. :?
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 16:38:14 »
Hmmm, since I don't have *any* experience yet, what your saying is:

Do some research 'bout which game engine supports the features you want, and then take it from there...

Well, no harm done, but the pile of "stuff to dig through" is only growing. Damn.

Any pointers on java based game engines?

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 18:37:35 »
A great place to start is the lwjgl.org main page. Check out the documentation. There's an exceptionally written Asteroids 3D example under there that walks you through everything.

hmmmmmm....
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 19:15:41 »
Are you looking to write your own game engine, or use a pre-existing one?

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 21:16:25 »
Maybe it's helpful to state some of my goals:

I would like to pull of an application in which it is possible to animate a group of people running a choreographed show (walking figures and such).
They needn't be fully articulated but should be sufficient for basis (musical) instrument handling. Also, it must be able to dress them in different uniforms (not only a different texture). Character animation should be extendible while running te application.

Nice to haves are synchronised playback of midi files, gravity and inertia on uniforms and instruments.

Are there existing engines fitting my needs? Or is adapting to an existing one more work then building one specific for my needs?

hmmmmmm...
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 13:53:15 »
I don't know much about pre-existing engines...

Anyone want to chime in here? :lol:

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 16:24:48 »
Engines you may want to take a look at:

Xith3d
jMonkeyEngine

Any others? I'm not sure. But those two are fairly mature (I've only glanced at them, so I couldn't tell you for sure).

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 11:29:48 »
Well, as I am grounded for the next 3 weeks (I've had chirgury on my right mid-ear) I have plenty of time to look into them.
That is, when the anoying pain subdues  :( .
I'll post my progess here, just in case people are interested.