Hello Guest

LWJGL.org

• 16 Replies

Offline princec

• Puppygames
LWJGL.org
« on: July 11, 2003, 12:04:41 »
Brian has registered lwjgl.org!

So now we've got an official home. The forums link links back here.
Hurrah!

Cas :)

Offline bedelf

LWJGL.org
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 12:30:08 »
Now all that page needs is a new version with some updated docs/tutorials and whatnot. :P

LWJGL.org
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 23:19:45 »
And the lesson to be learned from this: Never ever accept a bad initial name for a project since it's likely to stick, no matter how bad it is!

I've seen this advice in game development books, but it's always good when you can complement theory with a bit of practice  :)

Offline princec

• Puppygames
LWJGL.org
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 09:14:30 »
I still think it's quite a cool name because there's no chance that anything else ever will be spelled the same way :)

Cas :P

LWJGL.org
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 11:38:18 »
Yeah, and the pronunciation is so cool:

the lwjgl api ~ the legal api ;)

LWJGL.org
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 14:53:02 »
Cas, I think you must like it only because you work by yourself and don't have to pronounce it out loud to other developers.

Paul

LWJGL.org
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 14:56:16 »
Paul: easy: lwjgl=legal ;)

LWJGL.org
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 15:12:25 »
Pesonally, I've been calling it "Juggle" to my collegues, based on a disucssion about this a while back on javagaming.org.  Now that Sun's JOGL is out though, it might be confusing which I'm referring to.  (And I understand the original code base JOGL is based on was called "Jungle" - sigh.)  

I suppose "Legal" is a decent bastardization, though you're totally ignoring the 'w' and 'j'.  I fear switching to that will last just as long as "Juggle" though, since it's really not the API's proper name.

Paul

LWJGL.org
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 16:19:25 »
:?:

I just call it "LWJGL", as in Ell-Double-u-Jay-Jee-Ell. :D

Ah, so much discussion about a name... :wink:
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.

LWJGL.org
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 17:59:29 »
hehe - and easy to say too!  :lol:

Offline bedelf

LWJGL.org
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2003, 19:06:35 »
The forecast for today is crankyness.

When I saw that post yesterday I almost bitched, but I didn't know if anyone was up for THIS discussion again.

So I'll say it again.

I *like* lwjgl, it is what it says. It's not that hard to say it, and it doesn't need bastardization.

If lwjgl was renamed to "juggle" or "some random word" or somesuch crap, I would quickly find all responsible partys and stab them in the face.

:roll:

LWJGL.org
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2003, 21:03:21 »
/me runs for cover

LWJGL.org
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2003, 21:29:37 »
Word! :D

LWJGL.org
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 12:33:49 »
You know, it's pretty darn cool that this API is tight enough that we have time to spend arguing about such a minor detail as its name.  LWJGL is sweet little library, and my hat's off to the team for making something so worthwhile.

Personally, I blame all this bickering on the letter W.  I mean honestly, do you ever hear anyone talking about a website use the 'www' part?  No, we drop it and just call it "puppygames.net" or "homestarrunner.com".  All just because the letter W is too combersome.  

I think we should rename the letter W.  From now on, I will pronounce it as simply "wuh".  That makes this library:  Ell-Wuh-Jay-Jee-Ell.  

Paul

LWJGL.org
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2003, 12:50:46 »
Wuhrd! :D