Hello Guest

OpenAL Comments/Questions

• 3 Replies
« on: February 23, 2005, 23:39:57 »
1) The class WaveData that is used in a lot of examples seems to be better served sitting in the util package rather than the test package

2) How many sounds can share the same buffer? Right now I'm caching the buffers and just changing the pitch, gain, position, etv of the sound. Is there a limit on how many things can do this? Can I have 30 people firing the same gun all using the same sound buffer?

3) Does WaveData adequately handle the issues of source format byte ordering being different on the two platforms? In other words does it discern the byte format of the audio and load it for the byte format of the platform?

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 23:48:50 »
No takers?

Offline Matzon

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 07:14:45 »
sorry - I just saw this one, been hit badly with the flu.

1) The class WaveData that is used in a lot of examples seems to be better served sitting in the util package rather than the test package
Indeed, I think it has been mentioned before - but hasn't actually been done. I will do so later today.

2) How many sounds can share the same buffer? Right now I'm caching the buffers and just changing the pitch, gain, position, etv of the sound. Is there a limit on how many things can do this? Can I have 30 people firing the same gun all using the same sound buffer?
afaik, a buffer can be used by as many sources as you want. You can however not use more sources than available by you soundcard (typically 32, but don't bet on it).

3) Does WaveData adequately handle the issues of source format byte ordering being different on the two platforms? In other words does it discern the byte format of the audio and load it for the byte format of the platform?
I am fairly sure it does - I would be more sure, if it wasn't because elias' commit of convertAudioBytes didn't have a commit message :wink:

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 19:18:18 »
Man I hope you feel better!

Thanks for the replies. I've been coding away on a good audio system and with those responses I can finish up.