PBO support

Started by spasi, January 13, 2005, 11:36:21

Previous topic - Next topic

spasi

Last night (whole night, actually...), I implemented proper support for pixel buffer objects in LWJGL. If anyone is interested, have a look at the spec for the list of functions affected. Cool stuff now possible: render-to-vertex-array, asynchronous readpixels and streaming texture updates.

Issues:

[for users]
- I didn't have time to do it for ARBTextureCompression, I'll probably do it tonight.

[for devs]
- We need to rename VBOTracker to something more appropriate (like BufferObjectTracker), since it's not for vertex buffer objects only, but I'm not sure how should I do this in CVS. Create a new file and delete the old, or sth else?

- The VS compiler spits a warning about a const modifier in the new functions and I can't figure out what it is. The code is the same as in the VBO ones (offsetToPointer).

[for both]
- Does anyone use the IGL, GLImpl and GL classes in the util package??? It's a real PITA to maintain (6-7 thousand lines in a single file!). They should either be removed, if noone uses them, or create a tool for auto-generating them.

elias

Quote from: "spasi"Last night (whole night, actually...), I implemented proper support for pixel buffer objects in LWJGL. If anyone is interested, have a look at the spec for the list of functions affected. Cool stuff now possible: render-to-vertex-array, asynchronous readpixels and streaming texture updates.

Great work!

Issues:
[for devs]
- We need to rename VBOTracker to something more appropriate (like BufferObjectTracker), since it's not for vertex buffer objects only, but I'm not sure how should I do this in CVS. Create a new file and delete the old, or sth else?

CVS is stupid, so you have to delete and add.

[for both]
- Does anyone use the IGL, GLImpl and GL classes in the util package??? It's a real PITA to maintain (6-7 thousand lines in a single file!). They should either be removed, if noone uses them, or create a tool for auto-generating them.

Cas autogenerates them with Eclipse I think.

- elias

spasi

Quote from: "elias"Cas autogenerates them with Eclipse I think.

Damn! An hour of sleep lost for nothing! :cry:

Cas, should I notify you of future updates? How do you do it in Eclipse? Maybe I can find a way to do it in IDEA too.

elias

Quote from: "spasi"
- The VS compiler spits a warning about a const modifier in the new functions and I can't figure out what it is. The code is the same as in the VBO ones (offsetToPointer).

Should be fixed now.

- elias

princec

It was a combination of autogeneration and Textpad macros. It's a bit fiddly but it doesn't really need to be kept in 100% sync with the main lib, as it's just a handy utility for strange people that like using Objects all over the place.

Cas :)

spasi

Quote from: "princec"it's just a handy utility for strange people

Yeah, I know, that's why I'm asking: Are there any such strange people? :)