strange problem with LWJGL Xith3D renderer

Started by willdenniss, November 27, 2004, 22:04:12

Previous topic - Next topic

willdenniss

I'm seeing some strange issues with the LWJGL port of the renderer for Xith3D.

This image is meant to be a cube:

It should look like this:

Any ideas?

It looks like we've got something reversed???  The outline of the cube is correct.

Will.

elias

Looks like someone forgot to ask for depth buffer bits.

- elias

cfmdobbie

Things that could be causing that:

• No depth buffer bits requested
  • Depth test not turned on
  • Depth test has incorrect function selected
  • Polygon winding order of vertices incorrect
  • Vertices specified in wrong order
  • Incorrect face culling
  • Vertices put into buffer in wrong order
I seem to recall some craziness with winding order in Xith3D - can't quite remember though...
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.

willdenniss

Thanks!  It was the depth bits.

I'm glad it wasn't the other options, I had hoped something so major would not have changed since your initial port.

It was fixed by changing the call to Display.create() to:
Display.create(new PixelFormat(0, 16, 0));

I read this thread: http://lwjgl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656&highlight=depth+buffer+bits (which referenced this one: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=258086) for details on how to accomplish this.

Some further questions:

[list=1]
  • Is it always nessesary to specify a custom PixelFormat?
  • What is the default behaviour (can't seem to see any mention of it in the docs).  
  • If by default the depth bits are set, is this a bug in the OSX port?  
  • If by default the depth bits are not set - what use is that method (wouldn't everyone need the depth bits set?)?
  • Should I set the other pixel format bits for alpha and stencil?
  • Do most people have unique pixel format requirements or is there a common configuration?
    [/list:o]

Thanks for your help.

Will.

elias

Quote from: "willdenniss"
[list=1]
  • Is it always nessesary to specify a custom PixelFormat?
  • What is the default behaviour (can't seem to see any mention of it in the docs).  
Yes, if you want to specify minimum pixel caps. The defaults are no requirements (0 as a,d,s bit depths).

[list=1]
  • If by default the depth bits are set, is this a bug in the OSX port?  
  • If by default the depth bits are not set - what use is that method (wouldn't everyone need the depth bits set?)?
There's probably not a bug in the OSX port. More likely, the particular OpenGL driver you have chooses to give you no depth since you (indirectly through the defaults) specified 0 bit depth as requiment.

[list=1]
  • Should I set the other pixel format bits for alpha and stencil?
  • Do most people have unique pixel format requirements or is there a common configuration?
Yes, if you need them. Most people need some sort of depth buffer, but it's varies whether the alpha and stencil bits are needed.

- elias

elias

I've just committed a change that makes the default no-arg PixelFormat constructor specify a minimum of 8 bits depth buffer.

- elias

willdenniss

Quote from: "elias"I've just committed a change that makes the default no-arg PixelFormat constructor specify a minimum of 8 bits depth buffer.

- elias

Thanks for your answers and the change.

It might be helpful to mention the PixelFormat stuff in the docs for create().

Will.

princec

It would indeed be a good idea if we went through all the Javadoc comments and made sure they were very comprehensive. We're perilously close to 1.0 now.

Cas :)