Request for help

Started by Malohkan, November 24, 2004, 18:35:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Malohkan

Hello!  I frequently post on the Java Gaming Forums, but I haven't been getting any response to this request as I had hoped I might, so I'll ask here.

My game, Rimscape, is in need of some help.  The speed is plenty fast on a decent machine, but not all machines.  Also, I have on the To-Do list an implementation of a much better GUI that will look better, but it'll also be much slower.  That means it really needs LWJGL support.  I would like to keep Java2D support and at the same time have LWJGL support.

I've already checked out J2DA, which is supposed to couple JOGL and Java2D, but unfortunately even their demo's run like strobe lights for me in JOGL mode, and there has been no development on the project in many months so it can't help me out.

So my offer (mainly directed to Cas because he obviously does good work) is to pay someone to help me port the graphics.  Almost everything involves drawing lines and sprites, so it really shouldn't be a big project, but I just know nothing and it's important that the person involved be very comfortable with LWJGL so that he/she can make the conversion clean, organized, and still capable of being flipped over to Java2D mode with the flip of a boolean.

Being a broke college kid with not so much experience as even selling a single game, I really don't know what the trouble's worth, but if I feel if I were doing a reverse project and helping someone out, I'd be getting a steal with $150.  So that's my initial offer.  It's open to negotiation as I really do need help.  Thanks to any positive response! :)
dmin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!

Malohkan

OK Cas has sent me some crazy stuff to convert images and audio files into resources able to be used by the SPGL.  He told me to get SPGL through CVS... I figured out how to do that in Eclipse.  However, for it to build, I have to also have a Project for LWJGL.  That I CAN'T get.  It craps out on me when I try it.  I can get SPGL loaded through CVS so I can't be totally ignorant.  Then Cas ALSO gave me some .launch files which are aparantly useful in Eclipse... somehow... I can't figure out what they do.  Yeah...

Then on top of that I have no idea what I need to do with the resources once their "processed" by the files he gave me.  I still have no code for how to implement their usage.  Soo.... I'm stuck in like 3 different places.

I figured I'd post my situation here because every time Cas sends me a message or an email he sounds like he's running from the cops (or maybe agents) and has to cut things short or risk being caught.  So I think maybe I'm doing him a favor by asking around since he can't be expected to find a safe location to jack in all the time...  Good luck freeing us all Cas.  I believe!!!  I BELIEVE!!!!! *goes and jumps off a building*
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!

Malohkan

When I try to look at the CVS through my browser I get this:

Bad Gateway
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

I think that's probably what Eclipse can't figure out.  Can anyone instruct me on how to access the LWJGL CVS files?
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!

princec

For now - just use the LWJGL jar that comes with Super Elvis, and remove the project dependency. Add lwjgl.jar to your project build path and make sure it's exported, too.

As for your connection problem - it looks like you're behind some kind of proxy or firewally thing that's screwing things up for you.

Cas :)

Uli

I had a quick look at the cvs contents of spgl. There are 4 projects, with partially redundant code. For example there's the spgl-tools project, but the tools code is also contained in the spgl project. Very confusing for a beginner. Cas, would it be too much effort to release a version of spgl with every new version of lwjgl? And a complete tutorial would be nice, maybe Malohkan will offer you some money for that  :D
BTW, I got an error in SoundPacker.java saying the method append(String) is undifined for type java.io.writer. Which version of JDK do you use? I use 1.4.2_6

Malohkan

OK I added the lwjgl.jar to my GameLizard project's build path.  I don't know what you mean by making sure it's "exported".  Also, I don't know where the project dependecies are stored in the SPGL project and the Hallucinogenesis project, so I can't alter them.  I'm still looking... but I the error in the Console doesn't give me any leads as to where that's coming from.  Where can I find it so I can change it?
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!