Mac OS X port ready

Started by elias, November 11, 2004, 16:08:03

Previous topic - Next topic

elias

Yes,  the mode capping is indeed a weird problem. If I connect a 19" TFT monitor to the machine, the problem disappears. It's only a problem on my lowly CRT 19" screen (even though I can run 1280*1024 on it by using the control panel).

- elias

renanse

Hey elias, any chance of getting updated libs with the pbuffer support?  Thanks!

elias

Yes of course. The files linked from the first post has been updated. The lwjgl.jar will need updated linux and win32 libraries. Maybe it's time for a new release :)

- elias

renanse

Quote from: "elias"Soon, I think. It seems that I was hasty when dismissing the 10.3 pbuffers as incompatible with LWJGL semantics, as it is possible to use it as regular offscreen buffers.

- elias
Well, your pbuffers work on my Mac, but man are they slow...  Almost to the point of being unusable.  Is it being done in software mode or something like that?  for reference, my Mac is a powerbook G4 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 holding 128MB of DDR SDRAM.  (So I'd think it would scream pretty nicely through these OpenGL tasks...)

elias

I dunno, I use them for "just-in-time" generation of otherwise static textures. Maybe because they're tuned to rendering directly to a texture, I don't know. RTT will have to be generalised to cover both win32 and mac to enable it (linux does not seem to have an RTT implementation).

- elias

renanse

Cool, if RTT can be supported that would be awesome!!

tone

princec

Site looks temporarily down.

Cas :)

tone

renanse

Any thoughts on support for render to texture?  pbuffer on osx is so slow currently.  :(

elias

I don't have plans for implementing render-to-texture in the near future (TT is nearing completion and I want to devote resources to that). Your best bet if you need it right now is Spasi who did the win32 RTT implementation. Personally I'm more interested in the upcoming platform independent (Linux GLX doesn't even support RTT as far as I know) extension that allows rendering directly from the main context to a texture.

- elias

spasi

Sorry, no Macs here.

But, why are pbuffers slow on renanse's machine? Adding render-to-texture won't improve the situation if simple pbuffer rendering is already dog-slow. We should try it on other machines too, maybe it's something in the implementation.

Anyway, I took a look at Apple's site and it seems that there is proper full support for both pbuffers and render-to-texture. I guess we should just wait for Elias' post-TT relaxation. :wink: (Edit: Of course, by that time, I'd expect ARB_framebuffer_object to be out of the ARB dungeons...)

Elias, have you seen anything in OSX's headers about what render-to-texture "types" are supported? I mean, except simple 2D textures, do they support cube, depth and/or rectangle textures? I'm more interested in depth textures specifically...:wink:

elias

Haven't really studied it, as it was quite different from win32 and the lack of support for linux had me turned off already... I'm hoping for the ARB extension too...

- elias

willdenniss

Quote from: "elias"Yes of course. The files linked from the first post has been updated. The lwjgl.jar will need updated linux and win32 libraries. Maybe it's time for a new release :)

- elias

A new release would be very good :-)  I'm hoping to add the libs for all three platforms to Xith3D and it would be great if they were all the same version.

Will.

imjustmatthew

Quote from: "elias"Yes of course. The files linked from the first post has been updated. The lwjgl.jar will need updated linux and win32 libraries. Maybe it's time for a new release :)

- elias

Yeah, a new release with the macosx port included as part of the standard distribution would be great.

Thanks, Elias, for the port, it'll be a great help.
atthew

--+--