Is it correct to be explicitly freeing memory in this OpenXR LWJGL example

Started by Richtea, November 21, 2023, 21:45:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Richtea

In my own application I'm using LWJGL to bind to OpenXR. I originally following this example to create my application

https://github.com/knokko/lwjgl3/blob/origin/fix-xr-gl-sample/modules/samples/src/test/java/org/lwjgl/demo/openxr/HelloOpenXRGL.java

My application works well on my machine, and well on an end users machine except that it hard crashes on exit

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f36a18dacc0, pid=94325, tid=94345
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (17.0.7+7) (build 17.0.7+7-Debian-1deb11u1)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (17.0.7+7-Debian-1deb11u1, mixed mode, sharing, tiered, compressed oops, compressed class ptrs, g1 gc, linux-amd64)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libc.so.6+0xa3cc0]

I've historically got those sorts of things when I've explicitly called free() on objects created like `XrSessionActionSetsAttachInfo.create();`. I never call free on these objects and (hopefully correctly?) believe that these are automatically freed by LWJGL.

Which brings me to the application exiting and the example. The only frees I have in my example are on application shutdown and I include them because the HelloOpenXRGL example does

helloOpenXR.eventDataBuffer.free();
helloOpenXR.views.free();
helloOpenXR.viewConfigs.free();
for (Swapchain swapchain : helloOpenXR.swapchains) {
       xrDestroySwapchain(swapchain.handle);
      swapchain.images.free();
}

I think the first 3 frees are correct (as the memory was originally allocated with `calloc`)

But the swap chain images are created with a `create`

XrSwapchainImageOpenGLKHR.Buffer swapchainImageBuffer = XrUtils.fill(
    XrSwapchainImageOpenGLKHR.create(imageCount),
    XrSwapchainImageOpenGLKHR.TYPE,
    KHROpenGLEnable.XR_TYPE_SWAPCHAIN_IMAGE_OPENGL_KHR
);

Would I be correct in saying if it's created with a `create` it is managed memory and shouldn't be manually freed?

spasi

Hey Richtea,

Yes, that is correct. Memory allocated with .create(), that delegates to BufferUtils -> ByteBuffer.allocateDirect, should not be freed explicitly. Note that the LWJGL demo uses calloc for swapchainImageBuffer.

For memory allocation troubleshooting, you may run the application with -Dorg.lwjgl.util.Debug=true -Dorg.lwjgl.util.DebugAllocator=true. It will report issues like freeing of GC-managed memory, double-freeing, memory leaks on process exit.

Richtea

QuoteYes, that is correct. Memory allocated with .create(), that delegates to BufferUtils -> ByteBuffer.allocateDirect, should not be freed explicitly.

Thanks, I'm glad my understanding is correct

QuoteNote that the LWJGL demo uses calloc for swapchainImageBuffer.

Does it? I was looking at https://github.com/knokko/lwjgl3/blob/origin/fix-xr-gl-sample/modules/samples/src/test/java/org/lwjgl/demo/openxr/HelloOpenXRGL.java#L452 where it seems to be created. Is that the right demo I'm looking at? (Its so hard with github repos to know which is the official one)

spasi

Richtea

Ha, and in that version there is a memory bug fix https://github.com/LWJGL/lwjgl3/commit/9a997a2143e565b83a9bf760e57fcb141856c413 changing the create to a calloc.

So that all makes sense then, I've just been looking at an old version of that demo. Thanks!