Understanding the Gamepad-Mapping

Started by uwi2k2, November 23, 2022, 12:43:53

Previous topic - Next topic

uwi2k2

Hello there,

in my game i implemented gamepad controlling.
But different gamepads behave differently.

This is were the MAPPING comes in i guess. But i just donÃ,´t understand how to use it.

in my code i load a mapping txt file with this text in the first line: "# Game Controller DB for SDL in 2.0.16 format".
It has about 1800 controllers listed.

I guess this file is already loaded by default but i was not sure.

Anyway .... all my controllers behave differently.
Button indexes or AnaogStick indexes are all very different form controller to controller.

So my question is: HOW do i make use of this loaded mapping file?
I checked almost all functions about this and just donÃ,´t see any that seem to have something to do with the mapping.

I would be very thankful if someone can explain the basic usage of the mapping to me.

thanks in advance!
cu
kai

Lintfordpickle

Hi,
for the functionality which is mapped from other libraries, you'd be better off just using the original documentation. In this case, the glfwGetGamepadState is pretty well described here: https://www.glfw.org/docs/latest/input.html#gamepad

as for how to use it within Java, you just need to instantiate a ByteBuffer object, which will be filled with the state of the gamepad and create a new instance of GLFWGamepadState.

mDataByteBuffer = MemoryUtil.memAlloc(GLFWGamepadState.SIZEOF);
mGamepadState = new GLFWGamepadState(mDataByteBuffer);

You can then poll the gamepad state when you're handling input like this:

if(mGamepadState .buttons(GLFW.GLFW_GAMEPAD_BUTTON_X) == GLFW.GLFW_PRESS) 
    shoot();

Not all controllers have a gamepad-mapping available, so you first need to check the availability of the mapping by calling glfwJoystickIsGamepad