BGFX: 'Failed to create swap chain'

Started by mangledpixel, December 15, 2019, 16:58:47

Previous topic - Next topic

mangledpixel

I'm trying to create a BGFX frame buffer from a window created using GLFW, using bgfx_create_frame_buffer_from_nwh, but this always results in the error Fatal error 2: Failed to create swap chain. C:\projects\bgfx\src\renderer_d3d11.cpp line 4632 being thrown from the external BGFX thread (I set up a custom callback to catch it). The ultimate aim here is to create buffers for multiple windows, but this also fails in the case of a single window.

The relevant code:
long nwh;
		switch (Platform.get()) {
		case LINUX:		nwh = GLFWNativeX11.glfwGetX11Window(window); break;
		case MACOSX:	nwh = GLFWNativeCocoa.glfwGetCocoaWindow(window); break;
		case WINDOWS:	nwh = GLFWNativeWin32.glfwGetWin32Window(window); break;
		default:		nwh = NULL; break;
		}
		log("Creating framebuffer for view "+view+" with window handle "+nwh);
		short frameBuffer = bgfx_create_frame_buffer_from_nwh(nwh, width, height, BGFX_TEXTURE_FORMAT_BGRA8, BGFX_TEXTURE_FORMAT_D24S8);

This is after calling bgfx_set_platform_data and bgfx_init, and after the GLFW window has been created.

Getting capabilities from BGFX shows true for BGFX_CAPS_SWAP_CHAIN and for BGFX_CAPS_FORMAT_TEXTURE_FRAMEBUFFER on the relevant format(s). Not sure what I'm doing wrong here, or if this is even the correct approach for rendering to multiple GLFW windows with BGFX.

mangledpixel

Never mind, I figured it out. For future reference: you need to set the platformdata's nwh field to the native window handle of a valid window (doesn't matter which one) before trying to create framebuffers.