GLFW Scroll input question

Started by orange451, June 17, 2018, 17:06:38

Previous topic - Next topic

orange451

I've implemented some scrolling ability in a project I'm working on with LWJGL3.

However, I've noticed that scrolling with a trackpad via laptop produces similar numbers to scrolling with a mousewheel. The problem with this, is that it makes either trackpad scrolling feel too fast, or mousewheel scrolling feel too slow, because there's no way to differentiate between them.

Think I should open up a GLFW issue about this? or am I doing something stupid.

Example of issue: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0q0u6zofn47ztwf/LWJGUI_Scroll_Test.jar?dl=0
Scroll on this scroll area with a mousewheel or trackpad. One feels slow and one feels fast, but they both use the same input to scroll it.

spasi

Tried the test (Windows 10 on a macbook pro), both trackpad and mousewheel feel slow, but consistent (as they should). I think that if you make the list box scroll in line instead of pixel increments, it will be much better.

Not sure why your trackpad feels too fast, could be a driver issue. Have you checked the raw scroll amounts? Are you getting wildly different values? There's a related open issue here. This might also be interesting.

orange451

Do they still feel equally slow on your macbook's native OS?

If not, then it's definitely a problem on my end. I will check the raw scroll amounts.

spasi

Better on macOS, I'd say completely native feel. More importantly, again there's no difference in scrolling behavior between trackpad and mousewheel. Can scroll slowly pixel-by-pixel and also accelerate to multi-line scrolling.