Hello Guest

Distributing Apps

• 2 Replies
Distributing Apps
« on: February 02, 2018, 08:41:50 »
Any tips on deploying demos / completed projects?  Not that I have one yet :)  I saw some stuff on the wiki but it seems a bit dated. 

option 1:  Browser.  Nearly everything java based in the browser seems dead, applets/webstart, scary popups/certs.

option 2:  JAR.  A runnable jar isn't very user friendly and depends on having an installed JRE.  Something that is no longer standard, at least on MacOS.

option 3:  Native.  Building natives with a bundled JRE?  Probably the best option, but there don't seems to be any OS Cross Platform tools around now to even do this?

option 4: Native Wrapper: Small windows / mac natives that download jars from AWS S3 or something similar (like what minecraft does).

Any other ideas?  I dont suppose there are plans for an LWJGL client 'app store' :) or are we better targeting something like Steam with option 3?  If so do we have a way to create natives with all the LWJGL3 jars all bundled up as well?
Oculus Rift CV1, MBP 2016 - 2.9 i7 - Radeon Pro 460  OSX 10.12.4,  Win7 - i5 4670K - GTX1070.
Oculus Rift VR Experiments: https://github.com/WhiteHexagon

Offline spasi

• WebHotelier
Re: Distributing Apps
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 12:44:49 »
Starting with Java 9, you also have the option to use jlink, which LWJGL supports (your app and all dependencies must be modular). It's more appropriate for server applications though.

For client deployment, there's Self-Contained Application Packaging, but I haven't tried it lately. Native runners/installers with embedded JREs are usually the best solution. You can roll your own or use something like packr or Launch4j.

I dont suppose there are plans for an LWJGL client 'app store'

Nope, that's outside the scope of LWJGL.

Re: Distributing Apps
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 12:47:49 »
Starting with Java 9, you also have the option to use jlink, which LWJGL supports (your app and all dependencies must be modular). It's more appropriate for server applications though.

For client deployment, there's Self-Contained Application Packaging, but I haven't tried it lately. Native runners/installers with embedded JREs are usually the best solution. You can roll your own or use something like packr or Launch4j.

I dont suppose there are plans for an LWJGL client 'app store'

Nope, that's outside the scope of LWJGL.

Understood! Thank you for the response @spasi :)