@Spasi Your old JavaFX implementation

Started by orange451, February 22, 2018, 19:18:17

Previous topic - Next topic

orange451

This is for @Spasi. Thought a public post might be useful for any future googlers.

I remember seeing a few years ago, you attempting to run javafx ontop of lwjgl. This was before the JFXGL project came to be. I was wondering if your version was still accessable, and if it is, is it buggy?

I really want to use a gui solution in lwjgl that isn't terribly ugly. JFXGL doesn't have any bugs, but it has the downside of being insanely laggy when theres between 40-100 node elements displaying on the screen.

spasi

If I were you, I'd try to find what's wrong with JFXGL. Some quick thoughts:

- Does the same scene perform well on standard JavaFX?
- Have you checked if a specific (type of) node causes the problem? Or is it only the number of nodes that's a factor?
- Have you ran it through a profiler? What's the bottleneck?
- Could you prepare a simple demo that performs poorly and submit it as an issue to JFXGL? It might be something trivial and easily fixable by JFXGL's creator.

Our best attempt has been LWJGL3FX. For the reasons explained in that thread, its source is not available and we haven't worked on it further.

orange451

1) Yes. Blazingly fast. But with jfxgl I can create a simple tree list, populate it with 40 elements, and it brings the application down to 10 fps (on both laptop and desktop machine).
2) I havent, but I'd need to use tree lists to make what I am trying to make.
3) I have not actually, but couldn't hurt.
4) JFXGL creator no longer works on JFXGL. I've contacted him through his website; he's far too busy with his gosh darn real job.