Hello Guest

Vulkan support - how serious?

• 9 Replies
Vulkan support - how serious?
« on: August 17, 2017, 04:23:18 »
Despite being somewhat embryonic at this stage, I believe Vulkan represents the future of hardware-accelerated APIs and it's really nice to see that LWJGL provides some support for it already.

But how much effort and/or importance is being placed on enhancing Vulkan support?  It seems inevitable that in a few years, every OS & device will support Vulkan either as a first class citizen (like Windows, Linux and Android do now) or via some "facade" such as MoltenVK over Apple's Metal.

The current Vulkan support is lagging well behind the official releases so can anyone "in the know" elaborate on the plans for Vulkan and LWJGL?

-c

Kai

Re: Vulkan support - how serious?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 07:22:52 »
Current Vulkan release 1.0.58 (as of three days ago)
What LWJGL supports: 1.0.58

'nuf said?

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:32:20 »
Is there a 1.0.58?  LunaXchange only has 1.0.57.

Impressive!

Offline spasi

• WebHotelier
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 07:42:06 »
LWJGL has a dedicated project for Vulkan, lwjgl3-vulkangen. It parses the Vulkan registry and man pages from Vulkan-Docs and generates the LWJGL templates we use in lwjgl3. There are about 450 manually written lines in the Vulkan bindings, everything else is auto-generated. Which means it's always up-to-date. At least in LWJGL snapshots, the last official release (3.1.2) is a bit behind (1.0.49 vs 1.0.58).

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 09:15:56 »
Thanks - that really is impressive and shows true "seriousness" :-)

Has anyone produced any demos of LWJGL apps with Vulkan and/or performed benchmarks versus other APIs?

Offline spasi

• WebHotelier
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 10:42:29 »
The lwjgl3-demos repository contains a few Vulkan demos, here.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 10:43:53 »
Thanks, but it would be nice to see something "fresher" and a lot more complex.

Maybe, I have a job to do!

Kai

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 11:02:26 »
Alright. Besides accusing LWJGL's Vulkan support of not being up-to-date and the existing demos not being fresh and complex enough, I'd suggest you start working with LWJGL/Vulkan for once. And the existing demos and all the Vulkan documentation you must read to understand that should give you already some months worth of choking on it.

You are of course encouraged to provide more demos.

This nice repository contains more Vulkan demos: https://github.com/SaschaWillems/Vulkan

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 22:28:20 »
Points taken :-)

I was referring to the latest *official* release of LWJGL lagging with Vulkan support so it's great to learn about what's happening in the new builds.

And yes, I will do all the "choking" I require and then try to release some more complex Vulkan demos for everyone to benefit.

I'm totally new to LWJGL so please forgive my ignorance in these matters...

Kai

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 10:07:08 »
Heh. I think I meant "chewing" ;)
Have fun with LWJGL!