Installing on macOSX

Started by Optimo, April 07, 2017, 02:26:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Optimo

I am very noob when it comes to Mac. I'm having difficulty knowing where to look for what I need to know because Mac in general is quite foreign to me.

My game is made with LWJGL3 3.1.2 and Java 1.8.0 presently. I have it in a distributable form for PC with an izPack installer. What do I do or can you help point me at what I need to know in order to get this program on a Mac?

- Natives: Just replace the OS specific libraries with their MacOS counterparts?

- Installing: izPack claims, "The very same installer works on any operating system where a Java SEâ„¢ 6+ virtual machine exists" which includes MacOSX. If I have those natives replaced, then the installer and installed program should still work ok on mac?

Thanks!  ;D

Optimo

Shoot. I'm surprised this is one still unanswered. Seems pretty straightforward, I just would like some kind of confirmation. Kinda desperate atm. I may actually have no friends with a Mac on which to test, but I'd sure like to be able to say with confidence that my game can be put on a Mac.

spasi

On natives: yes, you need the macOS shared libraries. There are no other differences and you can choose the deployment method you prefer (in the classpath with the SharedLibraryLoader, or as plain files with -Djava.library.path or -Dorg.lwjgl.librarypath).

On installation: I'm not familiar with lzPack. macOS should be the easiest platform to install on, but I would strongly advise against doing it blindly. Testing on a real macOS machine is a must if you want to be sure everything works as expected.

Optimo

Thanks a ton. This is what I figured. Still workin hard to find access to a Mac, but it is nice to at least know it *should* work after I deal with any kinks. Found a friend with Linux at least. Edit: found friend with a Mac!  ;D