White Screen Error

Started by indiana, July 18, 2004, 12:47:24

Previous topic - Next topic

indiana

Hi all,

I have a strange problem: Code that works fine on most machines causes some other machines to display just a white window/screen. I dont do anything special, just creating the Display the regular way. No errors are reported, and as I said, the code works fine on any other machine.

I think it happens since the new Display class, although I already had it weeks ago with the old Window class. That last time I fixed it, but I cant remember how. I believe it had something to do with the Window.create() and its parameters, but I'm really not sure.

Anyway, with the new Display class I just cant get LWJGL to work on those machines. But before the new Display class every LWJGL code worked  on them!! :(

An idea anybody?

Matzon

have you tried the tests int org.lwjgl.test? - or the spaceinvaders game in org.lwjgl.examples.spaceinvaders?

indiana

Not yet, but I'll do so as soon as possible!

indiana

Just tested the FullScreenWindowedTest , and same result: a blank white screen/window. No quad, no nothing. And no errors are reported.

I tested it on a machine where all LWJGL code ran without trouble before the new Display class.......

princec

Are you able to grab the latest from CVS? This error is a driver issue (may be broken even in the latest drivers, too) but we have a workaround for it.

Basically the problem is caused by the dodgy WGL_ARB_pixel_formats code path that we use to choose a pixel format. This path is now only used when you ask for some exotic pixel format (in other words it reverts to the old LWJGL code path).

Well, I think this is the problem.

Cas :)

indiana

I'm trying the new CVS code, stand by....

indiana

I already had the latest CVS code, still the simple FullscreenWindowedTest brings up a white screen.  :(

princec

Drivers & OS versions please  :oops:

indiana

Its a laptop with some unknown graphics chip/drivers and Win2k. Can't give you much specs, but everything worked fine before the update.

cfmdobbie

What's the make/model of the laptop then?  It should be pretty easy to work out from that.

Alternatively, check the hardware device manager (don't know where Win2K keeps it - check the control panel) and see what Windows thinks your graphics chip is.
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.

indiana

The graphics chip is a "SiS M650" and the drivers are up-to-date.

princec

Aaaarrgh! Bloody SiS. It's a miracle it worked in the first place.

indiana

:roll:

But it really did, dozens of times. I always test my code on several machines. As I said, I fixed this problem somehow, but I cant remember how. It propbably had something to to with the window creation (with the old Window class), but I'm not sure...

elias

What does your Display.create() call look like?

- elias

indiana

I tried multiple variants, but even Display.create() fails.
As I said, even the simplest LWJGL test (like the FullscreenWindowedTest) fails with a white screen! So its not only my code that fails.