Could not create a direct GLX context

Started by jglover13, July 07, 2004, 17:36:02

Previous topic - Next topic

jglover13

Guys,

Eventually I will be posting intelligent answers to other people's silly questions, but for now I'm still in beginner-land.

I'm having an issue getting the library to work on my linux system.  It's a laptop, but it does have a 8MB Rage Mobility 3d card.  I can run glxgears just fine at 78 fps (this will probably only make sense to Linux users).  

Unfortunately, I get the following error when trying to run any code that uses the library (specifically my Lesson10 which has been updated to the newest version of lwjgl):

Current mode 1024 x 768 x 24 @0hz
org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not create a direct GLX context
     at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createContext(Native Method)
     at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Unknown Source)
     at Lesson10.createWindow(Lesson10.java:273)
     at Lesson10.init(Lesson10.java:279)
     at Lesson10.run(Lesson10.java:91)
     at Lesson10.main(Lesson10.java.86)

I get the same error when I try to run the window creation test with version 0.9a of the library.  It did, however, find 15 display modes.

Do any of you Linux smarties have an idea where I would start to look to fix the problem?  I'm sure it is not a problem with LWJGL; it is a problem with my 3d display or system setup.
 jglover13

CaptainJester

Some graphics cards cannot display 24bit colour.  Try a different display mode.  It is usually safe to start with 640 x 480 x 16.  You should also list the display modes that is says are available and use one of those.
The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities.  We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)
8)