Raspberry Pi status

Started by princec, September 30, 2016, 11:15:30

Previous topic - Next topic

princec

I thought I'd start a topic concerning the status of LWJGL (any versions) that work on the RPi (any versions). So here it is. Feel free to fill in the details below :)

(Mods - would be helpful to make this a sticky)

Cas :)

kappa

Last I heard, RPi now has a driver which supports desktop OpenGL (OpenGL 2.1, I think). If that is the case, then it no longer requires any special configuration and is the same as any other Linux/ARM computer and will only need a complied version of  LWJGL natives for ARM.

princec

Any news of a headless configuration? (That is not requiring X to be installed/running)

spasi

Looks simple enough. Let me know if that isn't what you have in mind. If you could find source for a program that does what you want to do, please post it here. I don't think there will be any issues with supporting the necessary libraries/APIs. The real show-stopper is building the CI infrastructure for ARM. Two questions:

- Why is it important to not require X?
- Will you need input too? GLFW has two options to replace X (Wayland and Mir backends), but if you don't want those either, what's an alternative?

CoDi

In theory, using the bgfx binding should allow this now for graphics, because in glcontext_egl.cpp it looks like it is using the right, "headless" functions.

I'm not sure about input/sound. It's been some time since I had a look at (cross-)compiling for, and the state of media libraries on the RPi.

Quote from: spasi on September 30, 2016, 12:16:28
- Why is it important to not require X?

To boot up straight into the game. No need to waste any precious resources on a X desktop.

princec

Not just games either... all manner of "point-of-sale" kiosk type applications, TV set top boxes, etc.

spasi

Not OpenGL I'm afraid, but there's been an interesting post from Nvidia:

QuoteOur next driver release will support direct to display which, even if you are not interested in presenting your frames, will allow you to use Vulkan without X running.

princec

Probably going to have to learn Vulkan sooner or later anyway...