Hello Guest

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Gradle Issues LWJGL 3.0.0

• 5 Replies
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Gradle Issues LWJGL 3.0.0
« on: June 21, 2016, 11:18:01 »
Hello folks!
I have a question with Ubuntu and gradle with the actual release of LWJGL and JOML.
I did not found any similar problems in the forum so I started a new topic. I am new to LWJGL and gradle so please be gentle  :)

When I use LWJGL and JOML on windows everythink works fine. But when I want to use it on Ubuntu the actual release of LWJGL 3.0.0 is not found. When I use 3.0.0b it downloads the libraries for LWJGL. I dont have a clue what the problem could be. I have the same problem using JOML. But with JOML no version works with gradle using Ubuntu. Not only with LWJGL 3.0.0.

I am using IntelliJ on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Gradle version is 2.14

Code: [Select]
version 'dev'

buildscript {
    repositories {
        mavenCentral()
    }
    dependencies {
        classpath "org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-gradle-plugin:1.0.1"
    }
}

apply plugin: 'java'
apply plugin: 'kotlin'
apply plugin: 'eclipse'

repositories {
    mavenCentral()
    maven {
        url "https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/"
    }
}

ext {
    lwjglVersion = "3.0.0"
    jomlVersion = "1.8.0"
}

dependencies {
    compile "org.lwjgl:lwjgl:${lwjglVersion}"
    compile "org.lwjgl:lwjgl-platform:${lwjglVersion}:natives-windows"
    compile "org.lwjgl:lwjgl-platform:${lwjglVersion}:natives-linux"

compile "org.joml:joml:${jomlVersion}"

compile "org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-stdlib:1.0.2"
    testCompile group: 'junit', name: 'junit', version: '4.12'
}
Yes I removed the natives for mac. And yes I use the same gradle file on windows 10.

Would be nice if you can tell me if it is a problem with gradle, the repo, the IDE or the OS. I can not be the only one using Linux :D

Sincerely Zellcore
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 13:26:33 by Zellcore »

Kai

Re: Ubuntu Gradle Issues LWJGL 3.0.0
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 11:36:52 »
The only thing I can tell you is that I successfully used these LWJGL and JOML release versions from Ubuntu 12.10 and 14.04. Both on a VirtualBox VM within a Windows 7 host as well as on native installations.
Did you try resolving _any_ other library with Gradle? Can you for example resolve junit:junit:4.12 ?
Can you nslookup maven.org (the domain of the Maven Central repository, also used by Gradle) ?
Do any other Gradle projects you have (if any) work?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:42:54 by Kai »

Re: Ubuntu Gradle Issues LWJGL 3.0.0
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 11:45:36 »
Did you try resolving _any_ other library with Gradle? Can you for example resolve junit:junit:4.12 ?
Can you nslookup maven.org (the domain of the Maven Central repository, also used by Gradle) ?
Do any other Gradle projects you have (if any) work?
Yes I can resolve JUnit 4.12 using "compile 'junit:junit:4.12'"or "testCompile 'junit:junit:4.12'" like shown on "The Central Repository"-Site.
And yes, nslookup maven.org also works.
I have one more project but with the same gradle file and issues.

//EDIT:
The only thing I can tell you is that I successfully used these LWJGL and JOML release versions from Ubuntu 12.10 and 14.04. Both on a VirtualBox VM within a Windows 7 host as well as on native installations.
I also tried it on Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS and everything worked fine. But a downgrade to 14.04 can not be the solution?  ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 13:48:12 by Zellcore »

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Gradle Issues LWJGL 3.0.0
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 16:11:39 »
I made a little step forward solving my problem. Now the dependencies are found and downloaded. I can code without problems. But when I want to run it, I get an exception. Under Windows it works perfectly.
Code: [Select]
Exception in thread "Game Thread" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at org.lwjgl.glfw.GLFW.glfwInit(GLFW.java:692)
at org.jengine.graphics.Window.init(Window.java:73)
at org.jengine.graphics.Window.<init>(Window.java:69)
at org.jengine.demo.Pong.init(Pong.java:159)
at org.jengine.demo.Pong.run(Pong.java:165)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: This function is not available.
at org.lwjgl.system.Checks.checkFunctionAddress(Checks.java:89)
at org.lwjgl.system.APIUtil.apiGetFunctionAddress(APIUtil.java:121)
at org.lwjgl.glfw.GLFW$Functions.<clinit>(GLFW.java:594)
... 6 more

In GLFW.java after reading line 594 (SetWindowIcon= apiGetFunctionAddress(GLFW, "glfwSetWindowIcon")) he goes to the method Checks.java and in checkFunctionAddress() the Pointer is null. Then the exception is thrown. How can i fix it? I use no WindowIcon. Neither on Ubuntu nor Windows.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 16:15:49 by Zellcore »

Offline spasi

• WebHotelier
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 17:14:09 »
This sounds like you have mixed the 3.0.0 JAR with the 3.0.0b binary (which didn't have glfwSetWindowIcon).

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 15:38:00 »
Thanks for your answer spasi. i created a new Eclipse environment and added lwjgl manually. And it works. So at least i know everything is fine with my OS and lwjgl.
Afterwards I cleared my IntelliJ cache and deleted everything in .grade/ so it would download everything new.
But still the problem occurs. Restart the IDE and reimport did not help. Then I used "./gradlew eclipse" in a new cloned repo and tried to use it in Eclipse. Same issue.
I am not very familiar with gradle. How can i fix this issue? I have no more idea what I could do.