ANN: SWT OpenGL Context (win32)

Started by rgrzywinski, July 01, 2004, 21:09:13

Previous topic - Next topic

rgrzywinski

An OpenGL rendering context with shared context support for SWT that is
independent of the OpenGL implementation used (for example LWJGL).

Currently only a win32 version is available.  A linux-gtk version is forthcoming.

http://www.realityinteractive.com/software/oss/index.html

(Since I know I'm going to get a plethera of questions) I created this for the following reasons:

I don't believe that an SWT binding should be included in LWJGL.  LWJGL is, in a number of ways, orthogonal from a windowed OpenGL implementation.  Combining the two into a single distribution leaves the windowed implementation in a crippled state.

Ideally, LWJGL should be divided into a number of pieces that can be chosen as needed.  The separation lines would include:  OGL itself (minus any bindings), controllers, OAL, and bindings (such as the current full-screen support and my SWT binding).  This is my contribution to such a utopia.

I could not easily find documentation for the limitations and concerns with the current embeded SWT implementation.  Only after spending time using it did I discover them.  I want to prevent others from doing the same.  

Looking at a class with no javadocs or comments of any kind or of any practical use to someone not looking at the code makes me angry.

The embeded SWT implementation has a number of limitations.  For exmaple, it appears that only a single shared OGL context can exist.

An SWT binding should be backed with an SWT-like implementation.  Grant Gayed started that and I took it one step further.

Please enjoy.  I rarely peruse these forums so if there are urgent questions, please email me.  My contact information is in the package readme.

cfmdobbie

QuoteThanks
======
[...]
o  The LWJGL guys for writing code such that this implementation was necessary

That's a bit rude, isn't it? :?
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.

rgrzywinski

Call it a freudian slip, I suppose.  It should read is necessary.  This goes along with my desire to have "separation of concerns".  I have updated the version on the web page.

I mean no harm and I come in peace.

cfmdobbie

Heh, okay. :wink:

Just had a quick scan through a few bits and pieces - looks good.  Why did you decide to produce a wholly new SWT binding, as opposed to starting with what fbi had already produced?

For what it's worth, the "separation" argument crops up every now and again in LWJGL discussions.  This binding will probably trigger another go at it!
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.

rgrzywinski

You question should actually be:  why didn't fbi start with what Grant Gayed had produced?

As for the reasons for my choices, I stated them above -- primarily I wanted an SWT-like solution (a veneer over native libraries) for an SWT binding.  This provides people not only with an SWT binding but the WGL class is a joy for any programmer to have in their back pocket when working with OGL on a specific platform.  The X Windows solution has a XGL class which is also a joy.

fbi

I suppose that some points should be made clear here becuase I'm going to get a bit tired of this  :shock:
I implemented only what I needed and what people in this forum asked me to (such as the context sharing and hey....this is not the unique way of using the binding, you probably didn't notice it).
You are right about the code missing some comments but:

1) Contributing to LWJGL is not my job (as it's not the main job of anyone right here). So I noticed a lot of people complaining about that also with Cas or Elias. They clearly asked for some help in this area (and nobody answered) but nobody lent an hand. Moreover you should consider that the API is still to be freezed and because of this a lot of work remains to be done. Improvement is a natural way not something to complain.
2) The binding as you want it to be done, wasn't accepted here because as Cas told me, there'll be no support for WGL or XGL in LWJGL (all in all also the new JSR regarding OpenGL "official" bindings decided to abstract platform specific extensions).
If you take a look at past messages you could find a post I made about it.
So if the community made some choice why do you still want to question on that?  
3) The binding I produced is not useless because some people is using it(me for example)  :wink:  But also a couple of guys in the process of creating some kind of editor/modeler, and finally an IBM centre in my city  which is collaborating with my university :wink:
4) Please...don't be rude and stay quiet before saying that you come in peace. Reflect and see what are you talking about.