Any freeware OS recomendations for lwjgl?

Started by chriddel, June 22, 2004, 15:11:37

Previous topic - Next topic

fbi

Right  :D
But you know...money, that damn money, is needed sometimes   :)
Anyway you are absolutely right: Even if I don't make stacks of euros I'm very satisified with my job and the projects I'm involved into.
Especially since I've been starting to use LWJGL  :wink:

PlanetMongo

In the US, Memphis, TN (where Elvis is from, a cheap city to live in):
As a beginning programmer, I made $32,000/year, as a government contractor (private industry, i'd probably start closer to $35k/year).  I turned down a promotion to $41k/year because I realized I hated programming for a living (I put on 30 f*cking pounds in a year and I was f*cking miserable.. I have to have variety in my job.. my newest job, however, provides plenty of that, plus lots of free time afterwards to do stuff like open up Eclipse to learn LWJGL coding while I browse the web.  I don't get much done.. :( ).  Cas is right, though, it's worth whatever you're willing to get paid.  Personally, I'd never take another full-time programming job ever again for any amount of money unless it was guaranteed short-term, and something I was vaguely interested in.  Of course, I harbor a fantasy of finally releasing my own game and starting my own game company, but that's not "work", that's doing something you enjoy.  :)

Actually, I've found I enjoy growing plants in a garden more than I like programming, sooo..

Oh, and programmers *are* common labor these days, didn't you hear?  Computer Scientists aren't necessarily "programmers", you know.  Any monkey it seems can churn out the bland, lifeless "corporate" backend code that one qualified "engineer" specs out.  And that seems to be most programming jobs:  writing uninteresting, simplistic grunt code.
ife sucks, kill yourself.

chriddel

well, actually we also thought of moving to the uk  :D
we also like italy but i it seems the situation is similar to spain  :cry:

when i started working here as computer science teacher four years ago everything went fine and i worked in several schools teaching java and c++.

for one year now business doesnt really work well here. they closed several schools and i am not working as a teacher anymore. i did some web pages, hosting, flash games trying to start some sort of freelance career.

i dont want to end up as an employee here because the salery is just horrible and i dont want to put on 30 pounds  :wink:  so i prefer working freelance and trying to make money with what i like although it might be little in the beginning.

and i always wanted to program a little game in java and improve my opengl skills  :D , so i find the slot machine a good oportunity.

chris

oNyx

Quote from: "princec"Plain old Linux will be perfect. You can really shrink it down super small if you know what you're doing.

I talked to a slot machine vendor for pubs a while back about doing some games for them. They had an interesting concept of downloading new games directly over broadband which was a nice idea. Unfortunately the user interface was... a touchscreen. Which rules out a whole load of great games :(
[...]

Oh man. A touchscreen! :D

I would really love(*) doing games for such a machine. Seriously.

Sure - it rules out a whole load of games, but at the same time it allows other games, which even reach a bigger audience (tapping with you finger onto something is something which everyone can do very well and very fast).

(* If there is Java, OpenGL and support libraries for the native stuff -  handling coins, dip switches and the like)

Java would be a good choice for those machines. You can develop on any platform and the machine itself can run a totally trimmed down linux. Hmm... well have to finish this game first anyways ;)

princec

I still haven't actually ruled out developing a game for the touchscreen pub market. It'd be kinda fun.

And here's a funny thing... Charlotte's been surfing the web for the last two weeks looking at houses in Italy to move to...

Cas :)

fbi

Oh well...if you actually need some help I can give you some, especially if you should come here in Southern Italy (I indeed live in a nice villa located 200 mt. from the seaside in Bari)  :D
Anyway...would you like to come here for vacations or what?
We could meet and talk a bit and experiment some italian food (I'm a very good cook)  :D  :D  :D

PlanetMongo

I dunno why, but when I read "touchscreen" game I thought of an old Commodore 64 "adult" game that had a guy doing a girl and you had to move the joystick back and forth to get the proper rhythm to "win".  Tapping on a screen...
ife sucks, kill yourself.

oNyx

Quote from: "princec"I still haven't actually ruled out developing a game for the touchscreen pub market. It'd be kinda fun.

Hmm... well if something comes up it would be nice if can you drop me a line :)

Sure on the one hand getting additional "competition" might sound like silly idea, but y'know on the other hand it might be the only way to get that concept rolling.

The whole thing is incredible appealing from my pov, because the next two games (which I'd planned since ages) would work like a charm with a touchscreen, too :D

princec

Hey, I'd still really like people to write games under the Borg^H^H^H^HPuppygames "collective".

Cas :)

oNyx

Heh. Guess for that slot machine stuff (if it ever happens) it would be a quite good option. I think you would punch out better contracts (so it's clearly win/win) and I really can't be arsed to fiddle around with that dirty native stuff :D

Hm... eventually there are some nice tax stunts... ah well, first I need to get this game out anyways ;)