How to draw to frame buffer without rendering

Started by fmaxgarcia, October 03, 2015, 19:11:48

Previous topic - Next topic

fmaxgarcia

Hey everyone,
I'm new to LWJGL, so I apologize if this question seems trivial, but I haven't been able to find the answer to my problem.

I am running a simple game with OpenGL and LWJGL and everything works fine. I have a research idea for which I am going to be using this game.
This work depends on my being able to access the raw pixel data (which I am able to do through glReadPixels), so far so good. Now the only issue is that, actually rendering the current frames to screen becomes a bottleneck, so I would like to keep everything in memory without any display.

My question is, is it possible to run the game without drawing or displaying anything to screen? As in, I have some frame in memory (which I can access through the frame buffer), I move the character in the game and the frame gets updated in memory (so I can access it again through the frame buffer).

Thanks a lot!

quew8

In LWJGL3, it is as simple as never setting the glfw window to be visible. You get an offscreen context which works as normal except that there is no visible window.