Geometry mesh generation

Started by BrickFarmer, June 18, 2015, 17:59:07

Previous topic - Next topic

BrickFarmer

Do we have any companion libraries like JOML, but focused on geometry generation.  I'm looking for something I can use with direct mode ie GL11 like GLUT (which is no longer in LWJGL3?) but also that would create the meshes for various other geometry than can be used later with shader based modern openGL.  Or should I just cut and paste a bit of GLUT code for now?
Oculus Rift CV1, MBP 2016 - 2.9 i7 - Radeon Pro 460  OSX 10.12.4,  Win7 - i5 4670K - GTX1070.
Oculus Rift VR Experiments: https://github.com/WhiteHexagon

Kai

Do you mean like procedurally generating the vertices that make up a sphere, a disk or a quadric?
And then preferably as a ByteBuffer and not as a bunch of glVertex calls or a display list.
But then there would be a whole host of other question that need answering, such as what is the buffer layout if also normals and other vertex attributes should be generated.
And should it support interleaved buffers at all, or just separate buffers for each vertex attribute.
But would sure be great if you can contribute something like that. It shouldn't be that hard. :)

BrickFarmer

Quote from: Kai on June 18, 2015, 19:23:18
Do you mean like procedurally generating the vertices that make up a sphere, a disk or a quadric?
And then preferably as a ByteBuffer and not as a bunch of glVertex calls or a display list.
But then there would be a whole host of other question that need answering, such as what is the buffer layout if also normals and other vertex attributes should be generated.
And should it support interleaved buffers at all, or just separate buffers for each vertex attribute.
But would sure be great if you can contribute something like that. It shouldn't be that hard. :)
Yes.  Something like Java Open Geometry Library ;)  As long as I'm not totally reinventing the wheel, or in my case sphere.  Although I'm already seeing what you mean about the number of questions it raises such as winding, slices, stacks, detail, precision etc.
Oculus Rift CV1, MBP 2016 - 2.9 i7 - Radeon Pro 460  OSX 10.12.4,  Win7 - i5 4670K - GTX1070.

spasi

Since you mentioned GLUT; does anyone really need it? I honestly didn't even think about it when I started LWJGL 3. I haven't used it, ever, in the 13 years I'm working with OpenGL.

BrickFarmer

Quote from: spasi on June 19, 2015, 09:41:41
Since you mentioned GLUT; does anyone really need it? I honestly didn't even think about it when I started LWJGL 3. I haven't used it, ever, in the 13 years I'm working with OpenGL.
Probably not, I tended to use it when putting together simple one page demos rather than doing my own geometry.  Although one does get fed up with rotating tea pots :) and it's no use at all for modern openGL.