Can't get lwjgl3 example code to work!

Started by Twk Amz, April 07, 2015, 23:26:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Twk Amz

Hi, I'm trying to start using lwjgl but I'm having some troubles with the "installation". I am running on a 64bit Ubuntu 14.10 computer, I do all the setup process(you know, adding the jars, the natives, etc, etc) and I copy/paste the code from "Get Started" in the lwjgl website. But when I run it, there's no errors but the window doesn't show up.
I thought that maybe I was doing it wrong, but the same exact stapes on windows 64bit(yes, I'm adding the right natives) works just fine.

Also, I tried doing my own simple code to debug it and it seems that everything works up to "glfwCreateWindow()", if I try to write something with System.out.println before creating the window, the message is written, but if I add it afterwards, not. Just thinking that I had something to do with glfw or glfw bindings(I have glfw development libraries installed).

Any Ideas??

abcdef

Can you paste the full command you use to run the test app?

Twk Amz

Quote from: abcdef on April 08, 2015, 08:29:49
Can you paste the full command you use to run the test app?
I'm using eclipse. I am setting the natives, the jar and everrything. I'm 100% sure the error is not mine because the same setup runs on windows but not on linux

Cornix

QuoteI'm 100% sure the error is not mine because the same setup runs on windows but not on linux
That can have a multitude of reasons. Some graphics card drivers are more relaxed then others and just accept wrong arguments without complain while others are more strict. I had this once with 2 different video cards and the same code running on one but not on the other because of differences in the drivers GLSL compiler implementation.

Twk Amz

Quote from: Cornix on April 09, 2015, 07:25:47
QuoteI'm 100% sure the error is not mine because the same setup runs on windows but not on linux
That can have a multitude of reasons. Some graphics card drivers are more relaxed then others and just accept wrong arguments without complain while others are more strict. I had this once with 2 different video cards and the same code running on one but not on the other because of differences in the drivers GLSL compiler implementation.

But I tried with my own code and the get started example. My video card is a geforce gt730(i have nvidia drivers) ann the opengl version it supports is 4.4. I haven't had any problems with opengl so I think it has something to do with lwjgl.

abcdef

Highly unlikely lwjgl being the issue, I can run fine on linux (I use mint which is based on ubuntu) and I am sure there are quite a few others that do.

Twk Amz

Quote from: abcdef on April 11, 2015, 21:13:54
Highly unlikely lwjgl being the issue, I can run fine on linux (I use mint which is based on ubuntu) and I am sure there are quite a few others that do.
ok, but what can I do?? I mean, my computer supports opengl 4.4, I am setting up the workspace as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6CcRi8yB5w(yes, I am using the linux natives), but the code won't work. The program starts and keeps running until I close the project from eclispe, but the window won't open.

Kai

This sounds like an issue with GLFW.
To verify that, you can build a minimal native GLFW application and see whether the issue is with that, too.
In order to do that, you can download the GLFW 3.1 sources, build GLFW as a static library (using CMake with GCC) and link your simple GLFW test application against that.
Using the C language, your simple GLFW application could look like so:
#include <GLFW/glfw3.h>
#include <stdio.h>
static void error_callback(int error, const char* description) {
	fputs(description, stderr);
}
static void key_callback(GLFWwindow* window, int key, int scancode, int action, int mods) {
	if (key == GLFW_KEY_ESCAPE && action == GLFW_PRESS)
		glfwSetWindowShouldClose(window, GL_TRUE);
}
int main(void) {
	GLFWwindow* window;
	glfwSetErrorCallback(error_callback);
	if (!glfwInit())
		return 1;
	window = glfwCreateWindow(640, 480, "Simple example", NULL, NULL);
	if (!window) {
		glfwTerminate();
		return 1;
	}
	glfwMakeContextCurrent(window);
	glfwSetKeyCallback(window, key_callback);
	while (!glfwWindowShouldClose(window)) {
		glfwPollEvents();
	}
	glfwDestroyWindow(window);
	glfwTerminate();
	return 0;
}

I don't know how fit your are in building C programs, so I just name the required steps here:
First you install cmake by doing "apt-get install cmake".
Now you make sure you have gcc installed. If unsure, just "apt-get install gcc".
Next we need to make sure the OpenGL headers and RandR are installed with: "apt-get install xorg-dev libglu1-mesa-dev"
Once you extracted the sourceforge GLFW download, you create a new folder beneath "deps", "docs", "examples", etc. which you can name "build".
After that, you go into that "build" folder and execute "cmake .."
This will create a Makefile in that location which you can execute using "make".
Once that is done, there should be a libglfw3.a file somewhere there.

Now, you build the posted simple GLFW example code (assuming it is in a file called test.c) using:
gcc -Lglfw-3.1/build -lGL -lglfw3 -Iglfw-3.1/include -o test test.c

If you then run the created "test" application, it should show a window and should not hang in that "glfwCreateWindow" call. If it does, we have an issue with GLFW.

Twk Amz

well, I also thought about this, glfw is installed on my system(maybe lwjgl3 needs a specific version?), and I made a simple test in glfw, It worked, I tried to do the same on lwjgl but it didn't work.

Maybe this is not important, but instead of -lglfw3 I have to link against -lglfw
I have glfw3 installed, but the library is libglfw. Maybe that's the source of the problem?

Kai

LWJGL statically links against GLFW 3.1. So, it should not interfere with any glfw version in your system.
Did you attach a debugger to your Java process and indeed verified that it hangs in the native GLFW function and not somewhere in the Java code?
The next thing would be to attach a native debugger, such as GDB, to the java process with a debug build of lwjgl3 with a debug glfw variant.
Maybe Spasi can setup such a build for you.
Then we can see where in the native code the process hangs.

Regarding the glfw in your OS distribution's repository: Usually those are always a bit outdated, so please make sure to link against the GLFW 3.1 sourceforge download which you can build yourself with cmake, as shown above. When I do this for myself under Ubuntu I get a libglfw3.a in the build/src directory.

Twk Amz

Quote from: Kai on April 12, 2015, 18:56:19
Did you attach a debugger to your Java process and indeed verified that it hangs in the native GLFW function and not somewhere in the Java code?
How do I do this? You mean debugging "as java application"?

Twk Amz

I compiled and installed glfw3 from source and it doesn't work neither

spasi

Kai

Spasi, could we not just use the latest GLFW git head, then?
From what I read, that issue is fixed regarding glfwCreateWindow (just not for glfwGetWindowFrameSize), so this would fix the issue, since no one invokes glfwGetWindowFrameSize for hidden windows.
Could you not create a build from it and try it out?

spasi

Yes, the LWJGL nightly always builds against the GLFW head. There was some trouble with the TeamCity server that I hadn't noticed, it's fixed now. Both the nightly and stable builds have been updated with the latest GLFW and LWJGL changes.