Java OpenGL Math Library (JOML)

Started by Neoptolemus, February 09, 2015, 09:55:47

Previous topic - Next topic

oparisy

Quote from: Kai on February 17, 2015, 15:31:57
Would then also be good to have it into Travis-CI (like LWJGL3 does it) with an automatic publishing to Maven Central.
This would require the following steps:
- setup github user for Travis (like lwjgl3 does it with the github user LWJGL-CI)

Wait, does that mean that CI builds of LWJGL3 are regularly pushed to Maven Central?

I am discovering https://travis-ci.org/LWJGL-CI/lwjgl3 due to your post, what is its role?

Regards,
Olivier.

Kai

No. As far as I can tell, Travis is just a build server like Jenkins/Hudson, so basically some advanced shell environment with preconfigured GUI. But it also provides you with a toolchain for compiling various languages, like GCC for native languages and a JDK for us Java folks.
It does not per se deploy to Central. One has to configure that in the pom and trigger the right maven shell commands from the build job description of Travis.
However that is my partly uneducted impression of it. Might be wrong.

Neoptolemus

Hi all, new update:

* New SurfaceMath class. Currently allows you to calculate the normal, tangent and binormal of a surface (as defined by 3 vertices and, in the case of the tangent and binormal, the UV coordinates). I've removed the normal method from Vector3f as SurfaceMath is a better home for it.
* New Vector2f class for 2D calculations

As always, suggestions are always welcome!

Kesitem

Wolftein1

Hi!, have you though on implementing both Mutable and Immutable implementations? (Link)

Keep up the good work!, looks great.

Neoptolemus

Hi Wolftein1, I've not considered implementing both mutable and immutable vectors, but I will take a look at your link and if it will be useful to a few people then I'll have a go :)

Quick update. I've changed the link on the first post to point to the new repository location, which is at:

https://github.com/JOML-CI/Java-OpenGL-Math-Library

This is the new working repository, so if you're using the library then make sure you visit this to ensure you have the latest version ;)

asyx

I'd probably hide the whole Quaternion code in the matrices. I don't know what you had in mind with that but I did just create a quaternion object, get the matrix for my rotation angle and axis and then multiply it with my other transformations anyway. Is there some point to keeping the quaternions separate from the matrices? Seems unnecesarily complicated compared to the old lwjgl utilities or glm.

quew8

Quaternions have several advantages over matrices. Firstly you can still combine rotations by multiplying quaternions. They are also good for interpolating rotations in animations. Multiplying two quaternions is more computationally simple too. Then of course they are more memory efficient. 1 quaternion (4 values) compared to a rotation matrix of 9 values. Or 1 quaternion and one 3d vector (for translation) compared to 16 values.

The only real detriment is the computational time of having to generate the matrix at the end of it.