Hello Guest

3d grass

• 10 Replies

Offline TheDude

• Future epic Independent games developer
3d grass
« on: January 24, 2015, 20:12:45 »
How would you go about rendering grass in lwjgl. I know you can use shell rendering but how.

Offline quew8

• Because Square Eyes Look More Real
Re: 3d grass
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 11:21:35 »
Ask a more specific question. Try it out, normally the process of trying will allow you to solve many of your problems for yourself.

If you have some code that doesn't work and you don't know why, ask us.
If you have no idea where to start, find a tutorial (there is always a tutorial).
If you are having trouble understanding a specific part of the tutorial ask here.
If you are having trouble porting the tutorial to Java/OpenGL/LWJGL ask here.
If you don't understand any of the tutorial, find another one and if you don't understand that one either, start with something simpler.

Offline TheDude

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 16:08:05 »
There is a tutorial at this link http://www.xbdev.net/directx3dx/specialX/Fur/ which covers shell texturing i jus have no idea how to translate it into LWJGL.

Offline quew8

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 21:35:40 »
First of all I've had a quick look and I think this http://www.catalinzima.com/xna/tutorials/fur-rendering/ is a better tutorial in terms of explanation and code examples and stuff.

Now what is your experience with LWJGL and OpenGL? Because I find all of the code in that tutorial readily understandable and if you are familiar with OpenGL and GLSL it should be a simple matter to look up some of the finer points of XNA's shading language (is it just HLSL) and the rest is understandable. Essentially all this is doing at the basic level is rendering a textured quad, with alpha testing, many times with a slight displacement.

So can you render a textured quad? Can you enable alpha testing? Can you program a shader which can implement a slight displacement (or even just do this in your own host program)?

I'm just not sure which bits you need help with, and if I don't know then I would have to write a whole tutorial specifically for OpenGL and LWJGL, which I'm not going to do. 

Offline TheDude

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 22:49:27 »
I tired this but i just can't seem to be able to port it to java. I have a character(.obj file) with a texture if this is any help.

Offline quew8

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 23:03:16 »
It doesn't.

Can you render that texture onto a quad? Because as I said before if you can, then you are half way there.

Offline TheDude

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 00:35:40 »
yes

Offline quew8

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 10:23:12 »
Then what is the issue? Do you not understand the technique?

Offline TheDude

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 12:26:59 »
It all makes sense to me but can't for the life of me get it ported properly to lwjgl without errors.

Offline quew8

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 08:24:03 »
So post the code you have tried and tell us why it doesn't work and/or the errors that it generates.

Then we can help.

Offline TheDude

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 20:10:20 »
Ok, I'll get,to that this,week.