Tell LWJGL which GPU to use

Started by nico3000, May 06, 2012, 13:34:34

Previous topic - Next topic

nico3000

Hi,

ist it possible to force LWJGL to use specific GPU, if you have more than one?

We need support for GL 3.3 functions in a laptop which has an Intel GPU with only GL 3.0, but it has also a more powerful dedicated card with GL 3.3 support (at least I think so). So is it possible to get a list of all availiable GPUs and tell LWJGL which one to use?

tlf30

That does not look normal for a laptop to have two diffrent graphic cards ???, use a program like Speccy to get the hardware data for us. The link to Speccy is: http://www.piriform.com/speccy

abcdef

Some laptops have the standard intel graphics card and also an nivida or ati for advanced graphics stuff so its not something so out of the ordinary. Mainly gaming laptops I think and I think the laptop switches at a hardware level

nico3000

For example the HP ProBook 4730s. It has an Intel HD Graphics Chip (capable of OpenGL 3.0.0) and also an AMD Radeon HD 6470M (capable of OpenGL 4.1.0) but LWJGL doesn't choose the Radeon, so I don't get support for OpenGL 3.3.0 (output of GL.glGetString(GL.GL_VENDOR) and GL.glGetString(GL.GL_VERSION) is "Mobile Intel(R) HD Graphics" and "OpenGL 3.0.0"). Is it possibe to use the AMD card?

abcdef

Don't you need to set the right option in the bios? If anything its got to be hardware controlled which graphics card its going to use. Isn't there a Switchable Graphics option in the BIOS

Have a look here on the problems of using open gl with the HP laptops in dynamic switchable graphics mode

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02948560&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

axel22

abcdef

LWJGL3 doesn't use this code, try running with LWJGL3?

An alternative way is to try

"Right click on the desktop" and get the "configure switchable graphics", which you do by individual application, either recently run ones show up, or you can browse to associate. And then set to either "Power Saving" (HD4000) or "High Performance" (AMD6470)