Hello Guest

I'm new! Helpful links appreciated!

• 8 Replies
I'm new! Helpful links appreciated!
« on: December 26, 2014, 23:40:47 »
So I've been programming in Java for about 3 years, just creating small programs and creating game modifications, but now I really want to get into the depths of creating my own games, just for fun!  ;D

So I know in theory how the OpenGL pipeline works and I have a good understanding of how Java works. I know how multi-dimensional arrays and vectors work but I'm struggling to understand how to incorporate all of these into the language so I can actually start creating a game.

I'm hoping that some of you here could maybe post a few helpful links to push me in the right direction. If it can be helped I don't want any videos. I prefer to read as I find that I understand better through interpreting it in my own way rather than have someone vaguely tell me how something is done.
I appreciate any help that I can get!  :P

Offline Cornix

Re: I'm new! Helpful links appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 23:55:19 »
Maybe LWJGL isnt the right thing for you. This is not a game framework; its more of a binding for native libraries.
If you really want to learn OpenGL then thats another thing, but if you just want to create a simple game perhaps go with something like libGDX (which is build on top of LWJGL). This way you will have it much easier and you can get started right away.
There is also jMonkeyEngine if you dont like libGDX but I have only heard positive reviews of libGDX so far (although I never used it myself).

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 00:43:10 »
If you're just starting game development, I would recommend you starting with this:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlrATfBNZ98eOOCk2fOFg7Qg5yoQfFAdf

This teaches you the basics in game programming in Java using a pixel per pixel rendering method. After that I would start with libGDX, and finally LWJGL! Good luck!

Got any questions? Send me an email at portalprogramming@gmail.com and I will answer them!

Portals

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 01:24:31 »
If you want to make a game, use a game engine (such as LibGDX). LWJGL is for people who want to create game engines. To use LWJGL you need a firm grasp on Java and you'll likely spend a lot of time just learning basic OpenGL concepts and setting up your framework rather than making anything remotely playable. It's up to you which path you'd prefer to take, but using LWJGL is certainly the long and difficult path.

Offline SHC

• GoHarsha.com
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 04:05:34 »
I agree with the people who replied earlier, LWJGL is not for everyone. If you just want to make a game, then you better use an actual game engine, or if you want to learn, start learning OpenGL.

I have a LWJGL Tutorial Series going on my website (link in my signature) that uses LWJGL3. I would only recommend that if you are interested in learning LWJGL.

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 19:26:28 »
Thanks for the replies guys! I have messed around with LibGDX but it isn't really suitable for what I have planned in the future, so I'd really like to learn from the ground up with LWJGL.

I'm not in any rush, and I would like to learn all of this stuff eventually, so I'll give a few tutorials a watch, and see if I can start getting through just by using the documentation.

Thanks guys!

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 20:27:04 »
Thanks for the replies guys! I have messed around with LibGDX but it isn't really suitable for what I have planned in the future, so I'd really like to learn from the ground up with LWJGL.

I'm not in any rush, and I would like to learn all of this stuff eventually, so I'll give a few tutorials a watch, and see if I can start getting through just by using the documentation.

Thanks guys!

Here's a tutorial in LWJGL on YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEETnX-uPtBXP_B2yupUKlflXBznWIlL5.

Offline kappa

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 23:01:27 »
some more tutorials here

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 22:17:22 »
@SHC: Thanks for the tutorials! I'm new as well, and since LWJGL released version 3 I have been having trouble finding good documentation for it :(

@Portals and kappa: I'm afraid those tutorials and articles are mostly for version 2. But thanks for the suggestion!