LWJGL3 and Maven

Started by pas2al, November 21, 2014, 13:33:07

Previous topic - Next topic

pas2al

Hi, i want to program a new game using the new version 3 of lwjgl. The question is, how to build the game in a professional and useful way. Currently i use Maven on different other projects and i have experience with maven. But the new version is not available in the maven central repo. (Maybe because there is no official release) What would be the best way to do it? Should i use something else, like Ant or should i stay with Maven, add the Library by myself and if the version is available in the maven central repo, switch to dependency via pom.xml?

spasi

The plan is to deploy the 3.x.x releases (not the 3.0 alpha/beta releases) to Maven Central. Until then, it's better if you add it manually, there's no need to switch if you're used to maven.

pas2al

Ok, thx. I used already version 2.9.1 with maven and it worked fine. But i have one more question. It was possible to run the game, but if i tried to build an executable jar-file i had different problems with the library and natives. Do you have a good reference how to build an executable jar? I checked some post on stackoverflow etc. but there were a lot of hacks and dirty solutions.

spasi

See Capsule. I haven't tried it, but it looks promising. For more options, you may want to ask this on JGO.

pas2al

lightbringer

As an alternative to executable Jar's, consider also custom wrappers like launch4j. For desktop games especially this makes sense as gamers are familiar with and expect executables but are not generally familiar with Java.

For Maven, until an official release happens and gets pushed to Maven Central, IMHO your best bet is to just make a local repository and put the nightly lwjgl there. Then you'll be able to switch easily later on.

pas2al

Version 3, when will it be released? (Days, months? Any time plans?)