Hello Guest

Does LWJGL come with a TextRenderer to use with OpenGL?

• 5 Replies
Does LWJGL come with a TextRenderer to use with OpenGL?
« on: September 22, 2014, 13:40:45 »
I've been looking around and didn't find anything =/ Rendering text in an OpenGL frame seems to be a non-trivial problem and I would be real happy if I could find a decent library for it.

Offline Cornix

Re: Does LWJGL come with a TextRenderer to use with OpenGL?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 13:44:59 »
LWJGL does not offer anything in that way. You have to either write your own library or use some third party library for that. I personally dont know any, I wrote my own.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 14:04:50 »
Look for one hour, find nothing.
Write forum post
Look five more minutes, find this.
Story of my life :D

Thanks to cornix for the reply :)

Offline Cornix

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 15:04:18 »
I've looked at the code and it doesnt look very flexible or powerful. It also uses outdated functionality. I would not recommend it, but if its enough for your needs then go ahead.

Offline kappa

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 16:19:47 »
Both LibGDX and Slick2D have OpenGL text rendering implementation which you can view/copy.

Further check out the LWJGL Wiki, if I recall correctly there is a tutorial on how to render truetype fonts in LWJGL using the Slick-Util library.

Lastly do have a search of these forums, there are a number of posts in which people have posted their implementations of text rendering in LWJGL.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 12:22:20 »
Yeah, that SimpleText was no where near what I thought it would be. Tried Slick2D now and that suits my needs just fine. Thanks for the replies :)